Monday, July 14, 2008

Cheating?

Have you ever said to yourself, as you are preparing the dinner-time meal, "Well you sexy mommy, the kids are supposed to get 5 servings of fruits & veggies every day. Our count for today is.... does ketchup count?... How many carrot sticks are enough to make a serving?.... maybe I'll do better tomorrow."

Well, my very good friend Deb, who is the lunch lady at my kids' former school, let me in on a little trick. If you use 100% juice when making Jell-O, it will count as a serving of fruit. Since she has to follow all those USDA guidelines for school servings and health department rigamarole, I am sure she knows what she's talkin 'bout.


When she told me this I about jumped up and down and did a Herkie. My kids are good eaters, but when it comes to Jell-O they are good shovelers. Plus, I already use the sugar-free jello because my kids need more sugar like I need an extra 20 pounds on my stomach.

So, is that cheating? Giving them fruit disguised as a yummy treat? This mommy says no way. Any trick that gets a kid to the top of that food pyramid is a secret that needs to be shared.

5 comments:

Bridge said...

no problems with that~
from a mom who purees spinach into chocolate brownies, puts flax seed into pizza dough, pureed carrots and celery into tomato sauce and tofu into smoothies.

Hairline Fracture said...

Hey, I stumbled on your blog--I'm a SITSsta too! Thanks for the Jell-O tip, too. Every little bit of nutrition counts!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

My kids hate jello- texture thing.

Is that how you spell rigamarole? Did spell check allow that?

KEEP BELIEVING

Sabrina said...

Oh my, I love your blog, I feel like I know exactly what you are talking about, you are much braver than me to say. HA. Glad to have found your blog, I will visit often. I am glad your boobs are independent soles again. I went from nursing to pregnant to nursing to pregnant, you get the drift, pretty much the last 7 years. Someday they will be mine, all mine.

Donna-Michele said...

Our mom never made jello without fruit in it. One fav was cherry jello with 1/2 the water, canned crushed pineapple and frozen cherries or blueberries. Mom topped it with a mix of sour cream, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla for parties. Another was lime jello with shaved carrots, canned crushed pineapple and canned mandarin oranges.

I remember my sister complaining about being served "plain" jello in the hospital when she had tonsils out. LOL

She also purreed fruit and made popsicles with jello (w/ half the water). We got store bought at other people's houses.