Thursday, July 10, 2008

Getting Rid of My Kids' VD

Okay, before you all judge me on what kind of mother allows her kids to get VD... let me tell you:

I would bet $100 that 99% of you have allowed your children to get VD

Here's what I mean. VD stands for Video Devices. VD could be PSP, Wii, X-Box, PS3 (or 1 or 2), GameBoy, Nintendo DS, simple plug-n-play games, etc. etc.



We do what works for our family. That's my basic mantra.... "hmmm.... whatever works for your family...... hmmmm...." Here at the TX Mama house, we don't have Wii. Or PS3. Or X-Box. Or DS. We do however have Gameboy. That's Gameboy color, not Gameboy Advance. We just got it this summer and my children were THRILLED because they got to see their games in color, as opposed to black-and-white. Our previous game system, which I will call Gameboy Classic, was only B&W, which also stands for "Big & Weighty". It looked like one of those old calculators we had when we were 8 years old, the kind that only did add, subtract, multiply, and divide, and sometimes percent, but it couldn't even fit in your pocket because MY GOD IT WAS A MINIATURE COMPUTER AFTER ALL!!!

So, this week I told my kids, "Kids, we are going to have a video-game-free week." After the expected moaning, groaning, writhing in pain, I finally explained that for one week there would be no Gameboy, no computer (for them of course, not me, since I have to do "work" on mine), and no plug-n-play games. For one week, they would work on using their BRAINS and MUSCLES (besides their finger muscles). So, how's it going, you ask?

Day 1: I went to the gym and dropped the kids in the Kids' Club care. I told the babysitter/teenybopper/gum chewer that the kids were NOT to play any VD. They could watch other kids, but were not to play themselves. I also reminded the kids how proud I would be of them if they could resist temptation for 1 hour. RESULT: SE obeyed (expected: typical first child) but the boys did not. When I came back they were BUSTED.

Day 2: RS is having withdrawl pains. He keeps holding the Gameboy, looking at the Gameboy, making trips by the Gameboy on purpose, just to be closer to it. I end up putting it on top of the refrigerator.

Day 3: I take RS and SE to Six Flags where (just in case you aren't entertained enough by huge rollercoasters and live cartoon characters) they have a Wii station to check out all the new Wii games! RS begs, and begs, and begs, and begs, and whines, and whines, and pouts, and begs, and pouts, and whines. I almost give in just to get him to cease and desist. But I held firm.

Day 4: I catch JL climbing on top of the counter to get the Gameboy down. Now it is hidden on the TOP shelf of my closet which even I can't reach without a stepstool. So, after lunch, RS and JL go to a friend's house, where (of course, we live in America, don't we) those kids have a Nintendo DS. Both boys end up playing for a while.


My experiment in getting rid of the VD is not going so well. The only one who isn't hooked is MP, and I think that's only because she's too little to get her teeny tiny fingers on the keyboard. goo goo gaa gaa.

1 comment:

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I need to have a Spongebob Free week. We would all probably be a bit smarter at the end of the week.

KEEP BELIEVING