Saturday, July 5, 2008

Stuff I Don't Get

Here's just a couple things I don't get. This is certainly not an exhaustive list, so check back on other things I don't get. Maybe I can make this a regular Monday thing. You know, because I am so good about staying on schedule for everything else.....

Maybe some of you can shed some light...


1. The Brazilian - No, I'm not talking about a South American person. I am talking about the landscaping choice of many women. What's up with that? Long ago, before I knew a "Brazilian" even was a concept, I had a boyfriend request that I shave all that down on my hoo-ha and so, being young and stupid, I gave it a try. I was SHOCKED when I saw my 8-year-old self staring back at me. It kinda creeped me out... why would my boyfriend want to see that? I always kept this dirty little secret, that is until now. It seems that having a Brazilian is all the rage, whether you shave or wax or use Nair. Why do guys dig that? Doesn't it look too much like a pre-pubescent poontang to be of any interest to a grown-up? Not to mention, my little Brazilian experiment had an ugly after effect: when the hair grew back in it was first itchy, then prickly, then poky on my own thigh, and finally it calmed down. Who wants to go through that every 6 to 8 weeks?

2. Pokemon - My children are OBSESSED with this stupid card game that they cannot tell me how to play. The reason is... they don't know how to play it either. Does anyone know how to play it? I mean, anyone under the age of 30 who doesn't also do role playing games and who doesn't live in their parents' basement? I think it is so strange that this card game is mostly marketed to a very young crowd (exception: see above) but it requires both reading (words like opponent, defending, resistance, retreat, submission, and paralyzed) and also math (mostly addition and multiplication, like "flip 2 coins. This card does 30 damage times the number of heads.) I mean, I want my kids to read and do math, but I wouldn't exactly expect to see Pokemon as a real-life word problem in their 1st grade classroom. Anyway, when RS was 5 and JL was 3, I saw those Pokemon cards in stores and never made a big deal about them. I'd heard about their evil obsession from other moms. The boys had never made mention of them and had never seen a show about them, they were still pure and unexposed. Then, one day, a kid at RS's school gave him a Pokemon card. I curse the day that card ever entered my home. It was like a drug dealer giving someone a "free taste". Needless to say, every month when my kids get their meager allowance I am feeding the addiction. They immediately want to run to Target. "I want a booster pack!!! I want the new Mew Too!!! Is that a rare Pokemon?? OOOHHHH Diamond and Pearl.... COOL!!!" Before we moved to TX, my nail tech from the midwest gave my boys a giant 3-ring binder full of Pokemon cards that her sons had outgrown. I think their jaws actually hit the floor when they saw those cards. Needless to say, that nail appointment was very quiet except for the sound of plastic pages turning.

Thoughts?

5 comments:

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

ummm, heh, I um... don't get the Brazilian either... *whistles and looks down*

Seriously, I don't, but I totally would GET IT. I hate pubes. HATE THEM. I curse my constantly stubbled bikini line (literally, and not one of those say literally, but really mean figuratively) 3 hours after the shave. I WANT IT ALL GONE!!! LASER STYLE!! That is my reward if I get down to 105 lbs. I have 10 to go.

Pokemon is BANNED in this house. NEVER TO ENTER!

KEEP BELIEVING

Nora Bee said...

Hello! I, unfortunately, went through a Brazilian phase that is now long gone, thank heavens. For what it's worth, for me (for him too) it wasn't about how it...ummm...looked. More about feeeeeling. And the Brazilians are onto something with all that, I must say.

The other thing I would add is that it's totally different growing back when it's waxed than when it's shaved. The itchy poky thing just isn't an issue with the wax.

I can't believe I just put that on the internet. I'll stop now.

Deanna said...

It all started probably 10-12 years ago. I decided to start going to a tanning booth and while I would never wear a bikini in public (two children and the accompanying stretch marks make this a good choice) I did buy one to tan in. It was pretty skimpy so I shaved the areas not covered by the bikini. No one would have seen it but me but I did it anyway. Well, my husband loved this trimmed version. It started to itch as it grew back so I just got in the habit of shaving it every day in the shower, just like I do my underarms and legs. Over time I shaved more and more but I don't do a complete shave. It is such a habit now and I rarely even think about it.

I'm too modest around other people to even consider having a professional waxing and have read too many horror stories to try it myself (although the stories are usually hilarious). Fwiw, I'm almost 46 and been married 27 years so this isn't something that only the young are doing.

Bridge said...

My 12-year old loved it until about 6 months ago. We sold a single card on ebay for $45.00!

Bridge said...

no comment on a brazilian, I bet they would charge me double though...