Sunday, August 10, 2008

Texan Mama reflects back...

I began to read a post by Amanda at Shamelessly Sassy but, I must confess, that I did not read the whole thing. Here's the reason: I loved the idea of the post so much that I wanted to do one of my own. But I didn't want to read hers and then get her ideas stuck in my mind. I'd rather do my own post first, then read hers and say, "Wow I guess we think alike!" rather than doing it afterward and believing that I just plagiarized the whole thing.


She says that she read about a contest in Marie Claire magazine where women wrote a letter to themselves at 18. I thought, "How Brilliant!" I really believed I knew it all when I was 18. Now I know I don't know it all but I sure know a lot more than I did a half-life ago. So here goes...



Dear future Texan Mama,

This year seemed like a breeze for you, your senior year of high school, but don't rest on your laurels. Senior year seemed easy because it WAS easy... Keyboarding? Drama class? C'mon. You even took a simpler math class than you should've and your best subject is math!!! Next year, though, you will be working a lot harder and realize that if you'd worked as hard in high school you would be graduating with a 4.0. But try to keep up those study habits in college.

And, when it comes to habits, you'd best curb those spending habits. I know that right now you don't completely understand how credit cards work. So, don't charge more than you can afford to pay off every month. Don't go thinkin' that you can just let the balance go for a month or two; before you know it you'll have a ton of debt and only be able to pay the minimum balance. So I'd suggest that you cut up that credit card in your wallet right now. But let's face it, I know you won't.

Next, don't be afraid to take risks. Right now you're okay with doing things that all your friends are doing. Also okay would be things that you positively know 100% how they'll turn out. But every once in a while, jump in the water and get wet. Learn how to deal with being uncomfortable for a little while because once you adjust, your eyes will be opened to so many things that you'll never realize if you try to live your whole life taking the safe route. Don't be afraid to take the road less traveled.

And finally, please don't think of sex as something you can use as leverage to get the upper hand in a relationship. Don't believe that line of thinking, "I say yes or no so I am in control here." Basically if you convince yourself of that, you are admitting that it's okay to sleep with a guy and then have no further contact with him, just because your hormones want it. Umm, that's not okay. It's not safe. It's not in anyone's best interest. You're not smarter, or stronger, or more of a woman because of it. You will just have more regrets later.

You are more beautiful than you give yourself credit for, so quit hating your looks and your body. You are smarter than you allow yourself to believe, so don't try to get off so easily with a half-assed effort. You are kind and considerate to so many people, so accept that you are their friend as much as they are yours. You are lots of fun, but don't try too hard to be the center of attention.

Most importantly, when you think the whole world is against you, your parents will be there for you no matter what. It seems like they are smothering you with their questions, rules, expectations, and judgments. What they are doing is trying to protect their baby girl, their last baby bird to leave the nest, with every fiber of their beings. They will be there to bail you out when you need it most, to tell you what you don't want to hear even though that's what you need more than anything, and to celebrate with you when you reach your goals. They always knew you could do it. So cut them some slack and give them some love. They are truly the two people in the world who know you best and love you the most.

Oh, and one last thing: ditch that stupid boyfriend of yours. He's gonna hook up with some skank from Ohio named Kim on Spring Break in Padre next spring. Cut him loose and don't waste your freshman year at college driving back and forth to see him. Go ahead and mack with that cute ATO. Just remember what I said about the regrets.

Love,
Your future self

6 comments:

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

That's pretty neat :)

Bridge said...

perfect letter. I may write myself one tonight.

dadthedude said...

hmmm. So I like the idea, but I was in the Marines when I was 18. The 18 year old version of me would have just said "kiss my ass old man" if I wrote him a letter...

Macking with an ATO - NOT going to be in my letter. Sneaking out of the dorm window at Georgetown in DC - will be in my letter...

Bridgett said...

Sigh. Mine would involve: "don't feel guilty about the baseball coach fling thing...it'll make a great story later and nobody gets hurt."

But I LOVE your last paragraph.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Which boyfriend? I don't remember. Corky?

KEEP BELIEVING

Texan Mama @ WhoPutMeInCharge said...

Yes of course Corky. You know I always hated that nickname. But aren't you glad I didn't end up with him???