Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Writing is On The Wall

Today we had a beautiful day. 95 and overcast. Doesn't sound good to you? Well, it's a HUGE improvement over the weather we've had. There was even a breeze.

Anyway, we went to the park and all the kids played. We brought bikes and skateboards, water and snacks. Charlie Brown went down the big tunnel slide, then promptly popped out and asked me in a very normal voice, "Mommy, what does fu**ing mean?"

My head shot around to stare him right in the face. My first reaction: To ask him to repeat what he just said. Wait, scratch that. IF he said what I think he just said, then I don't want the other kids hearing it too. Second reaction, Did he really say what I think he just said? Well, seeing that he just came out of a tunnel, at a public park, and seeing the same word myself on many-a slide tunnel as a child, I knew he DID say what I think he just said.

Poor guy, I jumped on him like a fly on doodie. I told him, "That is a really bad word. Like, the worst of all the bad words. Don't ever say it again. You're not in trouble, because I know you didn't know that, but just don't ever say it again, okay?"

He said, "Okay mama. I won't. I'm sorry." I told him it was not his fault, that he didn't know, but now he does so don't do it again. He looked so ashamed. That's just his way: he wants to be a well-behaved, good little boy. Even when he's naughty by accident, his conscience can't stand it. He is the polar opposite of our little Linus.

I didn't know if I should laugh, hearing him say "fu**ing" as easily as he would say "can I watch TV?", if I should be proud that he can read so well, or happy that - THANK GOD - he reached the age of 7 and didn't even realize that it was a bad word.

4 comments:

Bridge said...

ahhh! the swearing. the shock of hearing such words from their perfectly calm little faces. my 3 year old would walk around and say "oh shit" whenever she could not make a toy work about a year ago.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

I am totally flashing back to "Catcher in the Rye"--did you read it?

Jen said...

That is too funny. My son then 2 went through a two day span where he said fuck all the time. It was so hard to just ignore it. I totally blame my husband.

Toiling Ant said...

Reminds me of a rule my mom had when I was a kid. As soon as I learned to read, I wanted to read EVERYthing. Aloud. To everyone. Even if I read it on a bathroom wall. To prevent situations like the one you described, the law was laid down that we kids were not allowed to use words if we didn't know what they meant. We could freely ask at any time what any word meant, but we were not ever allowed to just blurt out undefined words.

That rule probably saved my mom soooo many headaches!