Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Musings about Food

Hey out there... Anybody a fan of Apple Jacks? Well, I am. And every time I crack open a new box, I am ripe with anticipation to discover if the bag is the plastic-ey one or if it is the waxy- silvery-one. If you are an Apple Jacks aficionado, like myself, you know what I'm talking about. Why do they always switch 'em up? I have tried for years to figure it out. Is it the place I buy them? No. Is it where I live? no (I have lived in 4 different states and the mystery followed me to each locality). Is it the season of the year? Nope. I should write to Kellogg's....

And what about Diet Coke? Okay, I love the stuff. Maybe as much as some people love coffee. I have a very hard time limiting myself to 2 cans a day. Sometimes I have to go to bed early to avoid drinking a 4th can. But think of it this way: if each can is 12 ounces, how would that be different from going to McDonalds and getting the soda that comes with a value meal, drinking it, and getting one refill? Those cups are 20 ounces, times 2, equals 40 ounces. Minus a little bit for ice, and we're talking the equivalent of 3 cans of soda just at one mealtime. And how 'bout folks who drink 1 or 2 cups or even a whole pot of coffee with breakfast? Then have a soda with lunch or dinner? Same?

Just some random thoughts for hump-day!

9 comments:

The Nice One said...

You lost me in that math. Guess I better go have 2 more cups of coffee.

I think I fixed my blog thing. THANKS for telling me that. Appreciate it.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Depending on my day, I have up to 4 cups of coffee. I just love the stuff.

I totally forgot about Apple Jacks--I didn't even know they still made them--maybe I'll treat my oldest to a bag/box when she get her braces off since everything in Apple Jacks right now is a big NO :)

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I've just been getting all pissy with cereal bags lately cuz they seem to be impossible to open without a big rip down the side and come on! Who doesn't get pissy when their cereal bag is ripped down the side causing cereal to spill down into the box when pouring?

KEEP BELIEVING

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

Lisa - how could you forget about Apple Jacks? They are like a staple at my house, right after hot dogs and Kool-Aid. I know, I'm not exactly what you'd call "organic" or even "strict". I have just taught my kids, "Everything in moderation." they even chant it themselves sometimes.

And, Angie, I am 100% on board with you on the whole bag-rip thing. That makes me so mad!! And how 'bout when you're trying to open it, and you finally get it (with the rip) and the Captain Crunch goes flying all over the table and the floor? And before you can get the broom the kids are picking it up off the floor and putting it into their bowls and eating it? I'm like, HELLO??? I haven't mopped that floor in like 2 weeks!!!! They don't seem to care. They can usually find some Fruity Pebbles down there too.

Kirsten said...

I don't care what anyone says! If you get a 20 oz., drink at macdonald's and refill it once, that only counts as one caffeine drink. : )

Pinky said...

I prefer the waxy bags, myself. And I loves me some Apple Jacks. Takes me right back to childhood. I love coke from McD's. But I'm mad at them right now.

Fall brings on the comfort food.

Bridge said...

I used to love Diet Pop, I now drink sparkling water. I love coffee, but now limit myself to one cup.

binks said...

My only drinks of the day, one cup of coffee in the morning at work and a large tea at lunch. Diet Coke leaves me a bit gassy. TMI?

Apple Jacks - love em, pretty much love any breakfast cereal. We have a lot because that is basically all my 18 yo will eat.

Have you guys ever tried the Tupperware cereal containers? I have about 5 of them. They are great, no worries about ripped bags. Just pour it in and go. Keeps it fresh for weeks. (and no, I am not in Tupperware sales) lol

Carrie Thompson said...

Hello, my name is Carrie and I am a diet coke aholic. Is this the 12 step program sign up????