Tuesday, September 30, 2008

must.... not.... blog....

So, are you liking all the NCLB stuff, or are you truthfully bored of it all by now? I am enjoying learning (I kinda wish I was still in college! Only not with 4 kids to take care of while squeezing in classes and studying!!!) but I am remembering how much time it all takes. Last week I spent no less than 10 hours researching NCLB. Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, that's not much. But I'm talking, at least 3 nights on the computer for about 3 hours each. Plus little bits here and there. That's just the research time; I'm not even counting the time I used up reading all the other fabulous blogs I follow.

Speaking of following... if you want to be a "Texan Follower" just hop on over to my sidebar over there. It's on the left. Okay, a liiittttle further down. Yah, right there! Just Click "follow this blog" and your pretty little icon will pop up. Yea! I've got Peeps!

And, do you like my new favicon? It's the little icon up there next to my URL address. Isn't it FAB??? If you want to know how to get one, just go here. And, if you look at the comments, you'll notice that I'm a total doofus and had a TON of problems figuring it out. So, if you're the dummy of "blogging for dummies", join the crowd! I might be able to help you! (on this one very specific issue, which must be the exact same process as when I did it or else I will be useless to you.)

Okay, so back to me NOT blogging (it's really working, right?) I have a list that is getting longer by the hour. Here's what it looks like.

In case you can't read it, here's the list:
Braunschweiger
Lunchmeat Vienna Sausages
chips

Call Shelly
Call Penneys
Clean Liv. Rm. Carpet
Vaccuum (notice the misspelling)
laundry
renew lib. books
wrap b-day presents
swingset anchors (as in, install them into the ground)
cut paper for Chris
organize photos
change bed sheets
clean master bath
online GS course
sew scout shirts
Ruth Bible Study
organize coupons

Most of these items are being left undone because I keep checking my gmail. I keep going online to learn more about NCLB. I keep reading blogs, and commenting on blogs, and tweaking my own blog. Many nights last week went like this: Get kids into bed and asleep by 9:00, then get a snack and read blogs. Done by 10:00. Then, go to the Education websites and research NCLB until at least 1:00, then write a post until about 2:00. Finally, after a few days of this, I crashed and went to bed at about 9:00, right along with my kids.

So why am I pouring all this info on you? Because I said I'd have another post about NCLB on Tuesday, then another on Wednesday, and possibly more later in the week. Well, for now, NCLB part 4 will be coming... very soon. When exactly? Dunno. Probably sometime when I can invest in some Red Bull, or Jolt Cola or whatever the acceptable legal liquid amphetamines are nowadays. I must complete my list. I must pay attention to my children. I must talk to my husband other than "uh huh. Yeah. Yep." while staring at the laptop. I must become a living, walking, breathing human. Quite a tall order for a blogging junkie.

I also have a few fun posts in the hopper: My kids and I went camping last weekend. Oh, it was just in our backyard. But it's just about the only family tradition we have. Once a summer, I go out in the tent with all the kids and we sleep in the tent in the backyard. Nothing too spectacular, but it's fun and I always try to do it spur-of-the-moment, so there's no "Hoooowwww many more days until we sleep in the tent? Can't we do it tonight? PLEEEEEEEASEEEEE?" This year I took some pictures. Very cute!

Also, I have an interesting situation I'm working on: Our neighbor across the street put out a flat-screen (NOT flat-panel) RCA 32" tv on the curb. The sign said "FREE working TV". So I got our furniture dolly and wheeled that bad boy over to our house. Well, in the dead heat of the Texas autumn (at least 90 degrees outside) I worked on the TV. It turned on fine, and I could see the snowy picture. I went inside to get an antenna. No help with the snow. Okay, I thought, I'll get the GOOD antenna. It's even an RCA antenna so maybe they'll do a little electrical high-five and start working hand-in-hand. No dice. Still very good pictures of snow. So, I tried to plug in one of my kids' plug-n-play games. Still no luck. I stopped short of dragging the VCR/DVD combo outside. I had to stop playing around because I realized it was nearing 6:15 and I hadn't fixed dinner yet. And of course now I'm blogging... again.... Here's what the back of the TV looks like:

















So basically I can't find my ass from an input hole in the TV. I really AM smart about these things. We have moved enough times that I am a pro at hooking up the antenna or satellite box, the VCR, DVD player, TV, and now we've got digital converter boxes too (no cable in this house!). So when this "home theater" (manufactured in 1992 by the way) entered my garage, I was not intimidated. Well, that little 32-inch snow box has kicked my arse. I am going to have to call in the big guns. Dad-the-dude, you gotta tell me where to put my plugs, and don't tell me to put them where the sun don't shine. I'm not in a laughing mood.

Oh, plus, I just volunteered to be Peppermint Patty's Brownie Girl Scout Leader. I only realized, TONIGHT, that this commitment is really not just for one year but for many years to come. So much for ever reading a book again...

7 comments:

Kellan said...

I love that you are calling out for help from another blogger and actually took pictures of all the crap on the backside of the TV - HA! I am so clueless about all those wires - good luck! Nice to get a free TV!

Take care - Kellan

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Sweetie--my TV, the one TV we have, is like 15 years old and about 400 pounds. I have no clue but hope someone can help--free TV cool!

Mandy said...

Thanks for the favicon tip! :)

The Nice One said...

When my TV is bugging me, or I can't figure it out, I have the Boy Child fix it. Then I know how dumb I really am. My kiddo is smarter about that stuff than me.
I am enjoying reading about the NCLB stuff. I've only heard about it from the Spec. Ed perspective. And boy, with all the crud happening within the DISD these days, it's interesting to see how NCLB will be impacted there, huh?

dadthedude said...

from everything I can tell the antenna needs to go into "Ant A". I searched for an owners manual and couldn't find one.

It's an odd setup, don't think I've ever seen one like it. But it looks like ant A is your best shot.

In Feb (actually in 137 days/6 hours and 10 seconds from now) you will need to use your digital converter - but I would go ahead and use it now. It ~should~ allow you to get a better picture.

That date btw is driven by money... but not from retailers to sell new TV's (very low margin in TV's these days...). It's driven by the FCC. By making the broadcasters switch to a digital signal they can free up large amounts of analog signal bands - which they in turn charge for the use of.

Anna See said...

Wow! That tv would have kicked my rear, too! Proud of you for the curbside pickup. Way to go!

:)

Shamelessly Sassy said...

I love the new favicon. It looks great!