Sunday, September 28, 2008

Please don't make it be Monday again!

Last week was a really busy week for us. We had a PTL meeting on Monday night and the kids in grades K-2 were going to be singing (2 of my kids in that group). I think getting some distance from the events of that day were necessary for me to have a clear head about it all. I just have to share my "It's obviously a Monday" experience with you all.

I picked the kids up from school at 3:30. Now, we live about 25 minutes from school and the PTL meeting began with dinner at 6:00 and meeting afterward. Texan Papa was working that evening and child care was going to be available, so I guessed I would be lugging the crew along with me. On the way home, I realized that I'd get home at about 4:00 and have to turn around and come back at 5:30. Sucks, but whatever. Gotta do what ya gotta do. Then, Charlie Brown *HAS TO GO* to the potty, so we stop off at Target. All the kiddos want to come in and look at the toys and Peppermint Patty insists she needs some Littlest Pet Shop pets for a diorama she's working on. SO, in we go. Once inside, and Charlie Brown is done with the potty, and we've inspected the toy aisle, I realize it would really be a waste to go all the way home, then come all the way back. I decide we'll just stay at Target until it's time to go to the PTL meeting. Mistake #1.

The kids are hungry, and I only have $2 and change. I ask, "Do you want popcorn and a soda?" raising my voice at the end of the question and smiling with my eyebrows raised up into my hairline. No, they want icees. So, I dig in my purse and find enough money to buy 2 icees (not 3) and they are satisfied. Linus - my sweet, adorable, ball of energy - decides to get a cherry Icee. Mistake #2. Linus decides to blow through his straw, and the cherry Icee turns into Mt. Vesuvius. Before I know what hit him, he has cherry Icee all over his white shirt, all over his tan shorts, all over his white socks, and his face and his arms and his legs and the floor and the table and the seat .... and he was supposed to be singing that night. One bright spot is that I didn't yell or freak out. I simply said, "Um, You are done with the Icee. I think you know why." And very quietly he said, "Yes, I know." No tantrum! Whooppeeee!!!!

I went ahead and got Peppermint Patty and Charlie Brown working on their homework in the snack bar while I pushed Sally in the cart and searched for a new outfit to buy for Linus so that he could sing on stage and not look like a giant popsicle. I found something reasonable, so we checked out and I took him to the bathroom to change. We got him washed up, and returned to the snack bar. Then I smelled something rank. I knew that smell... and investigated.... yes, Sally had pooped. And (you guessed it) the diaper supply was out (Mistake #3). SO, back into the store we go. I take Linus with me (Mistake #4) because the last thing I need is him deciding to get another Icee even though he's been forbidden.

We get some diapers and I remember that, oh yeah, the baby has to eat, right? So I pick up a few jars of baby food. Linus says, "Mom do you need this?" and proceeds to knock a jar of baby peaches on the floor which shatters. Like a true coward, I get the rock outta there and leave the mess. Sorry for people who are annoyed by me but I just could NOT deal at that point.

Upon finally leaving Target and arriving to the PTL dinner, we get our hot dogs and drinks. I am pushing an umbrella stroller and filling two plates. Luckily my older children have mastered this skill by now. I get my hot dogs and chips and go to the table FARTHEST AWAY from the hot dog line. What do you think I do next? Yes, I place the plates on the table too close to the edge (Mistake #5) and baby Sally pulls them off the table onto herself and the floor. So I pick up the mess and repeat, and she pulls it off again. I guess my brain was just fried by then that it took me making that mistake twice to actually figure out how long her baby arms were. By this time, I'm cowering under the table, using my bare hands to sweep up bits of wavy potato chips, and using up my last baby wipe from the diaper bag to clean up a puddle of ketchup/mustard. I start to cry a little - not because I'm sad but just because I am so tired and it's the only emotion I can access at that time.

The kids do their singing (So precious!) and the meeting isn't too long. Thank God! The "available child care"(mistake #6) consisted of 2 adults watching about 50 kids on a playground. When the PTL meeting was over, Peppermint Patty, Charlie Brown, and Linus all came in covered in layers of sweat and dirt. Literally, short of playing in a mud puddle I had never seen them so dirty. I asked, "Why are you so dirty?" "Oh, because we were digging in the dirt pile." HELLO???? Obviously the parents who were watching all these kids are not the ones responsible for laundry in their respective houses. Once home, I got the clothes soaked and bleached and it all came clean (even the icee disaster).

Once the kids were home, they were so tuckered out from all the day's activity that I was able to get them all showered, teeth brushed, into bed, and asleep by 8:45. I guess it's true what they say... Everything comes out in the wash. When my husband got home from work at 9:30, there was no visible evidence of the chaos that was our day. The kids were asleep, the house was picked up (since I didn't have to make dinner), and everything was calm. I couldn't have asked for a better ending to the day.

Just, please Lord, don't make me EVER do that again.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Yowza! That was a day. Glad it ended better. :)

The Nice One said...

Whew! What a DAY. It seems to go like that...one bad thing after another after another. The snow ball effect! Glad it ended on a pretty note!

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

I have noticed that when one things goes wrong, it all starts to fall apart---glad they went to bed quickly. And now you don't have to go to Target for at least a day or two ;)

dddiva said...

I am exhausted just reading about that and... boy oh boy am I glad those days are over for me.

Bridge said...

ah! the snowball effect...lovely.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I think you should move to Australia.

(from Terrible, Horrible, No good, Very bad Day book, in case you didn't get the punchline.)

KEEP BELIEVING