Thursday, September 4, 2008

Stuff you probably don't know about me... or care about

Here's some stuff that you probably don't know about me. The jury is out on whether or not this list is in any way interesting, but here goes.

1. I have never been to Starbucks. Never the drive-thru either. Never even at the kiosk at the airport. I just don't care for coffee and if I were to choose to mortgage my house to buy one of their muffins, it would all just go to my stomach anyway.

2. I won my school's spelling bee when I was in 5th grade. I won on the word "separate". My opponent spelled it "seperate" so now that is one word I always get a little chuckle from when it is misspelled. I also love "stationary" vs. "stationery" (the first one means "still" the second one means "writing paper") I went on to the city-wide (St. Louis) spelling bee and got out in the 5th round on the word "nonuple" which means nine-fold, like double means two-fold and triple means three-fold.

3. I did a semester abroad in Ireland when I was a junior in college. It was completely awesome. I traveled all over Ireland, as well as going to Greece and Italy for spring break. I fully believe I will never have the chance to travel like that again. I really got a chance to open myself up to new experiences and I was forced to face my fears in a lot of ways. It definitely changed my life for the better.

4. I love to teach math and I love math in general. But I sucked at math in high school. At one point (after sleeping through class) I laid my head down on my desk and began to cry and wailed to the teacher, "I'll never get this stuff. I'll just end up barefoot and pregnant and stupid!"

5. I have two previous boyfriends who are now gay.

6. I'm a Mizzou graduate. Go Tigers!

7. I used to be bulimic. I stopped purging the day I broke a molar in half while eating popcorn. It forced me to realize that I might end up losing all my teeth, which I figured would be a lot more noticeable than a skinny waist.

8. I love the smell of the frozen case at the grocery store. Not the stand-up kind, I'm talking about the frozen case where you have to reach down into it and it has ice crystals covering the sides. As a kid I would always sniff it. Just like sniffing the riso machine paper when they're hot off the press. MMMMMMM..........

Now you know a little bit about me. Got any fun tidbits about yourself?

14 comments:

Bridgett said...

Ah, the anonymity of the internet (which ceases the day your next door neighbor finds your blog...or your mother...). I don't think there's anything about me I haven't dumped all over the table yet on one of my blogs, frankly! Yikes!

katydidnot said...

i totally can't read another word until i say:

NEVER BEEN TO STARBUCK'S?? wtf?

okay, i'll go back and finish now.

katydidnot said...

i totally can't read another word until i say:

NEVER BEEN TO STARBUCK'S?? wtf?

okay, i'll go back and finish now.

katydidnot said...

i too have a gay former boyfriend. but not two...

dadthedude said...

I didn't realize someone wasn't required to stop in a starbucks. I stopped the coffee thing 4 months ago (I feel like I'm in AA... hi, my name is Dad-thedude and I haven't had a cup in 4 months).

I have a q-tip fetish. I try and ignore it but man I love to roll a q-tip in my ear.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Never been to Starbucks? Didn't know that one was possible. Next time I see you, I am going to take you in with me just to mark this off your list.

Can you imagine trying to compete with those ESPN spelling bee kids that spell wlakjherolke which I realize isn't a word, or at least I assume it's not, but they could make a word out of it and tell me it's origin and stuff.

I knew this about abroad about you and can I just say, your hair looks very European.

i wrote a blog once about your barefoot and pregnant outburst. I think I labeled it irony or something.

Who's gay now? Would I know them?

I know, Tigers, bla bla bla. Remember that Nebraska Tigers game we went to and like 75% of the stadium was red? Then we went to Harpos and had a blast.

I used to be bulemic, too. DOn't remember why I stopped. Probably because I am lazy and it took too much time. And I had like 3 cavities once.

The ice smelling thing - that is just weird, dude.

KEEP BELIEVING

Jodie said...

Okay, no starbucks? really? not even for one of their pumpkin loafs?! You must be supernatural.

I totally suck at spelling, my hardest word is definitely - always, always mess that one up.

Not sure what the gay boyfriend thing means...probably after you, no other woman could surpass your awesomeness. =-)

The freezers? LOL - now give me carbon copies and I'm in heaven.

MeadowLark said...

In public bathrooms, I always inwardly brace myself before opening the door, just in case there's a dead body in there.

ReformingGeek said...

I sang Karaoke in Tokyo while on a business trip. My boss and the Japanese guys thought I was great. I was tipsy and had a cold. They must have been even more inebriated. I have no redeeming talents as a singer.

dana wyzard said...

The only thing I know is that I do everything with the utmost honesty. That's a terrible burden. Honestly.

Jen said...

Very interesting. nice to know

binks said...

Again, another post I almost wrote. Could you please get out of my head?
I hate Starbucks, but it did come in handy in NYC for a bathroom pit stop.
I am a good speller and like math, but no gay boyfriends, that I know of.
I guess the only weird thing that very few people know about me, I used to ride a unicycle. That's unique, right??

@Dadthedude - I so have a q-tip fetish and can't leave the bathroom without using one.

Karen said...

I am so envious that you went to Ireland...my dream vacation!

And I have never, will never go to Starbucks! I have had their complimentary coffee in a hotel and it tastes like water that has been allowed to steep over a sweat-soaked 20-year-old pair of leather shoes!!

Oh and btw :) I found you by way of batw.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

OMG! That's it--where are you--I picking you up and taking you out for a Chai ;)
And what are you doing to those boys--guess after they lost you they had to go to boys since they could not find a girl even half as awesome as you :)
My older daughter wants to be in the spelling bee--she has not missed a word on her tests since 1st grade :)
Interesting fact on me...my blog is an open book :)