Monday, October 20, 2008

What did you do this 4th of July?

I can clearly remember what I did on July 4, 2008. It wasn't that exciting or at all significant, but it wasn't that long ago, so I have good memory of that day.

We went to an awesome party at my neighbor-across-the-street's house. He and his wife threw a big birthday party for his grandmother, who was turning 90. Plus it was 4th of July (more reason to celebrate). His whole family and extended family was there, so I'm guessing it was about 40 people. It was so much fun! Plus, Texan Papa had to work that day so I enjoyed having some place to go rather than just sit at home and mope.

Unfortunately I didn't know where to go to watch fireworks. That's always a sore spot with me on July 4th. I want to watch them, and I want the kids to watch them and enjoy them. But, being the summer and all, it doesn't get dark enough for fireworks until at least 9:30, and down here in Texas it's more like 10:00pm. Then, we have to actually stay up and watch them. Then, sit in traffic trying to get out of the parking lot along with the 16 hundred bazillion other people who also have screaming, whining, tired, out-of-sorts children in their own minivans. So this past year I looked up in the sky, saw one big explosion, and I jumped in the grocery grabber with the kids and went in search of a fireworks display. At 10pm. Oh yeah huh I did. We never found one, but I sure got to listen to some whining. Yea me.

So, like I said, not very eventful. Even kinda boring. But this guy from Oregon had his hands full on July 4, 2008. He was busy becoming a father. And when I say becoming a father, I mean in the motherly kind of way. You see, Thomas Beatie became the first man to give birth to a child. From his own body. Where he carried the child for 9 months. Yeah huh.

No, I am not joking. No this is not a play on words. Thomas Beatie is a trans-gender man. He is married to a woman. She cannot bear children because of a hysterectomy. He has had gender reassignment surgery (on his breasts) and takes testosterone to make him appear and sound more male. He is legally considered male by the state of Oregon (hence how he married his wife). However, he chose for the reassignment surgery to not include any change in his reproductive organs. He wanted to save the option of possibly having a child one day. And so it is.

If you want to see the whole story you can see it here. He appeared on Oprah with his wife Nancy, her 2 daughters from a previous marriage, and his OB/GYN.

Not passing judgment. Just sayin'. I know when it comes to birthin' babies, Texan Papa would have none of that. I think I'd like him to have a turn, though.

What do you think of this?

11 comments:

Sidney said...

Wow. Weird. I would've liked for ex to have experienced some of the side effects of pregnancy and childbirth, such as the stitches in regions where there shouldn't be any, and exploding breasts just shortly after birth.

Of course, every time I felt bad, he did too (for attention), so actually, I'm glad he didn't experience these things...

I SO know what you mean about the fireworks shows...it gets crazy! We usually park on some remote road near where the display is going to be so that we can tear out of there as soon as the "grand finale" is over.

mydogumentary said...

I've always thought that story was sort of weird. But I don't have the right to judge! And I'm with you--I hate going to fireworks shows--the traffic is just not worth it!

MeadowLark said...

Bend, Oregon. Home of:

1) Pregnant man
2) Blue man (too much colloidal silver)
3) A subdivision called 'The Shire' which has actual hobbit houses.

Gee... I'm so proud. :/

E said...

Sure why not? Let him/her have it both ways. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla...
By the way I love the name of your blog. Love love love it!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Wacked out! How is that child supposed to be anything but confused. To me, if you want to be a guy - then be a dude and all that comes with it. This doesn't even make any sense to me.

KEEP BELIEVING

La Pixie said...

a pregnant man...

so weird to contemplate.

The Nice One said...

That story really fascinated me when it came out. On so many levels it was just interesting and almost tender. Clearly he was very MANLY, in the interviews I've seen and read. And for him to do that for his wife was beautiful.

Rhea said...

I think that if you have a uterus, you're still a woman. Just my opinion.

Nessa said...

Wow! That is just strange. And I agree if you have a uterus you are a female.

McMommy said...

I think that picture makes me sick to my stomach!! It's just so WEIRD to me.

But WHATEVS, you know? I'm not judging...

Mandy said...

That's just gross. God made man and woman. Be one what HE made you!