Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What do you believe from the Interwebz?

I have seen some interesting questions about "What happens if John McCain is voted in as president? Then if he dies, Sarah Palin will be the President and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelozzi will be the VP, since she is 3rd in line."

Um, no.

The 25th Amendment (ratified in 1967) of the Constitution of the United States says

"In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President." - section 1

And, once the new President is in office, who will become Vice President?

"Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress." - section 2.

Yeah, but would this really ever happen?

Um, yes it did happen. In 1974, when Richard Nixon resigned, the vice-president Gerald Ford became President in accordance with section 1. Further, by becoming President, Gerald Ford left the Vice Presidency vacant. President Ford nominated former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller to succeed him as Vice President. Rockefeller was later confirmed by the Senate and the House, and sworn into office on December 19, 1974. (info credits here and here)

So, if John McCain were to be elected President and then could not fulfill the duties of his office, Sarah Palin would be our new President. But I'd be willing to bet big bucks that Nancy Pelozzi would not even be on the long list for possible choices for a veep.

See, the interwebz can be an evil swirl of mis-information!!!

5 comments:

Carrie Thompson said...

doesnt matter know but YEAH that Nancy Pelozzi wouldnt be the vice president! I cant stomach her. But than again I cant stomach other people so I guess I am in for 4 years of stomach issues!

RANT: MOTHERHOOD UNCENSORED said...

Brick by brick. Block by block. Yes we can!

Kristy said...

Hey SITSta! My husband is from a little town near St. Louis MO and we are currently stationed in El Paso Texas...been here for about a month. So far I like Texas. Love your blog!

Denyse said...

Thanks for clearing that up! My girls had asked me that, but I was too lazy to research it. Now they'll think I'm really smart :)

bermudabluez said...

I love that you did the research on this! I can't stand Nancy Pelosi either. And I'm not happy about the results of this election either. Nice job on the research!!