Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Got Opinions? Check.

I have a blog roll of WAYYYY too many blogs. Maybe I can further clarify this point by mentioning that I even have a folder of blogs which I've titled, "Blogs I don't really want to read." Yet I still read them.

I used to read one very popular blog from which I have decided to unsubscribe. This blog is full of humor and wit, but at times also very judgmental. This author holds many liberal points of view, and really considers himself to be a free-thinking open-minded individual. However, this author is openly repulsed and offended by people who oppose his thoughts. Wait, remind me again... what is it called if you think that your opinion is the right one, and when someone disagrees with you, they are wrong? Tell me again, I have forgotten... why am I expected to see (and, I guess, agree with) their point of view, but my point of view is not only beyond consideration but also beyond reason???

If I oppose homosexuality because I believe it to be morally wrong, then I am oppressive! Hateful! If I think the war in Iraq is justified, then I am an uncaring person who thinks killing is okay. If I don't want to "share the wealth" like Obama has proposed, then I am selfish. If I don't want immigrants to come into our country illegally, and I suggest that they be required to enter the country in a legal fashion, then I am unAmerican! Can't I see how America is the land of the free? (Well, free for some and the rest of us pay for them.)

Now, please don't even get me started in defending these points of view. This post is not to put my views and opinions up for debate. REPEAT... I AM NOT DEBATING THESE POINTS OF VIEW. What I *am* saying is that, how can a person claim to be open-minded, when they do not allow an opposing viewpoint its proper respect? And by proper respect, here is what I mean:
  • Opinions are based on feelings and thoughts, not facts. Opinions are not "right" or "wrong". So, accordingly, the person is not "bad" or "good" based on their opinion.
  • We have every right to disagree with an opinion. But, why do some folks think that they need to be nasty, ugly, and show their own stupidity by ripping apart others' opinions with slurs, name-calling, and unintelligent arguments? Do they really think the other person will be swayed to their side of the argument by THAT?
  • Opinions are personal. Mine is mine. Yours is yours. Why would you think that I have the same thoughts as you? Why are you trying to make my thoughts the same as yours? Isn't the world a more interesting place with people who are different? And, finally...
  • A person with a different opinion is not an enemy. That person is someone who we can LEARN FROM. We, as discerning and intelligent people, should listen to opposing viewpoints and use our own distinct set of moral & ethical guidelines, as well as the bank of knowledge in our brains, to consider the opposing opinion. We should ask ourselves, "Do I agree 100%, disagree 100%, or am I somewhere in the middle?" Opinions are the ONE thing that are definitely not black-and-white. So why do we force ourselves to put them into those two boxes: agree or disagree?
Now, that said, isn't this person allowed to have an opinion too? Sure! Definitely! Opinion it up! But when that person's opinion starts smelling like "I'm right and everyone else is a moron," then that opinion acquires the aroma of a Texan's armpit in mid-July. I'm kinda on the bandwagon of "My opinion is good, but I'm not gonna beat you over the head with it. So please don't beat me over the head with yours, K?" Because (almost) every opinion has some squeak room. What is squeak room? That one teensy weensy wiggle point that could really go either way when all is said and done. Maybe I hate the KKK. Maybe I think they are a bunch of hate mongers. BUT... they do deserve free speech like everyone else, right? No, I don't like their speech, but the 1st amendment guarantees free speech to everyone, regardless of whether or not their momma is also their auntie. (See the squeak room there?)

So, I'm going to do a little house-cleaning with my blog roll. Once I remove this blog from my blog roll, I'm sure the author will not even notice. But I feel like there are SO many awesome blogs out there that I should surround myself with people I love and those who make my time at the computer better. Well, at least, worth skipping TV for.

12 comments:

Heather said...

Well said! I feel the same way; I have my opinions and they may change but they're just MINE and don't need to be anyone else's. I enjoy reading other points of view - it may not change my mind but it gives me another perspective to think about on the issue. How is that a bad thing?

Cindy said...

Good for you...you have a right to your opinion....and it's great when you're willing to stand up and say it out loud too

Jess said...

Well put!
I agree with the other 2 comments also!!

Jen said...

That guy is a, wait for it wait for it, TURD! LOL!!!!!

You are allowed to have your opinion and should not get chastised for it. I don't agree with everything that every one says but they and you are entitled to their opinion.

April said...

Once again, i agree with you 100%.

kelliebean said...

I just found you from...aw heck, I don't remember which blog. I'm in a post-holiday blurfing frenzy...

Anyways ~ my kids are wondering why I'm giving the laptop a standing ovation, saying, "Right on, Texan Mama! Right on!"

I'll be back. ;)

--Kellie (formerly "Texy Momma")

jori-o said...

You. Go. Girl. I am on your team, 100%! VERY well said!!

The Nice One said...

I think that you and I have very different views on a lot of things. But. I appreciate and respect your opinion. And...I wouldn't dare bash or judge your opinions as I believe that a diversity of minds is so crucial in our society.

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

It ate my comment. Drat. I hate blogger!

I finally broke ties with a longtime read during political season. Although I had taken a stance that I would not post politics, she went extreme in bashing the side I personally hold. And, I just had enough. It's sad that some people only see their side and refuse to acknowledge an alternative.

Kacey R. said...

This is my first visit to your blog and I really enjoyed what you had to say. So many great points. I agree with you, diverse opinions are what makes us all interesting. We would all be VERY bored if we all agreed. But we can all disagree in a respectful manner. Off to blog surf some more. But I'll be back! Oh and your "Comment Credibility" cracks me up!

Dad Gone said...

This is my first visit here, but I'm glad I came. I think you seriously misjudged my point of view. As I have written repeatedly, I don't begrudge anyone her point of view. I haven't bashed anyone. I simply stated my side of the story, just as you have here. I hope you'll reconsider.

Bridgett said...

I'm having a hard time reading your blog. Not based on content--based on color. I can't see any words unless I click and highlight whole paragraphs. I'm hoping it's a glitch on my end (sigh, just like the cobbler's children with no shoes, I have an IT husband and a crappy computer...)