Thursday, December 18, 2008

Kleenex, anyone?

Okay, first of all, thanks for all your sweet comments from yesterday's post. As it turned out, I picked up the kids after school at 3:30, and Peppermint Patty bounded up to the Silver Bullet (aka our minivan) and hopped in. "Hi mom!" She was all smiles. I asked "How was your concert today?" and before she could answer, Linus piped in, "It was awesome!!! I love loud music!!!" And Peppermint Patty said, "Yeah, everybody clapped. It was cool!"

So, guilt? short-lived. I'm learning. See, the more this happens, the more I realize, NO need to add extra guilt to my usual quota. But, the tricky thing is, I don't have a barometer to figure out when the meltdowns will happen. If I did, I could make a million, ya think?

On to other news, my in-laws came in today for a Christmas visit. I am so lucky - I get along really wonderfully with them. Non-Texan Granny and Non-Texan Poppy. As I was sitting, waiting for them, I saw some of the best human emotions ever.

I saw a mother and father greet their twenty-something daughter. The dad, with salt-and-pepper hair, saw his daughter and hustled to her side and he gave her a hug that said, "I don't ever want to let you go. Not. Ever." He finally did separate himself from her when his wife said, "Okay, you've had enough. My turn." Her hug was just as squeezy and every bit as warm. They hardly said a word, but it was as if I could feel the relief between them. If I could read the parents' minds, I bet I would have seen "NOW I feel right. Without her here with us, something was missing. But now that she has arrived safely and she's in our arms, all is right with the world."

I sat in the waiting chairs next to a girl, about 28, who was greeting her mom and grandma who were coming to watch her graduate from college. Just listening to her speak, I could tell how proud she was and how excited she was to be sharing it with her mom and grandma. After graduation, they were going to pack her car and a U-Haul and help her move back home. The tone in her voice suggested that she was anxious to start her life. She had the most amazing optimistic attitude. I could hear her smile, even when I wasn't looking at her.

Then, there was a couple, mid-thirties maybe, who were walking briskly together, then upon seeing the security gate, they came to an abrupt halt. They just looked at each other, then at the security gate, then the woman looked at her mate and said, "Well, I guess we have to say goodbye now..." There was an awkward pause, one that couldn't be filled with words or kisses or music. The awkward pause could only be filled with time. I could sense that they desperately wanted more time to be together, talk together, smile together, hold each other, before they had to separate. I could tell they would be counting the hours and days until they saw each other again. They shared a brief but tender kiss, then she rushed off to her gate. I almost felt like it was my heart being left behind.

There is no better place to watch human interaction than at the airport. Joy, sadness, loneliness, frustration, thankfulness, it's all there, and in its purest form. It helps me to remember that, bottom line: people love people. They may say they love money or things, but when all is said and done, nothing can take the place of people.

10 comments:

Carrie Thompson said...

this was a very good post.

Mrs de Miranda said...

ohh that makes me ache!! you are so right, the airport is filled with so many different emotions, but to watch people greet is the best. I got to watch something very similar..though not at the airport. Kids running to their fathers, so excited to see them. Dad's scooping them up, so happy to see them. It was amazing. Wives hugging husbands. Just like I hugged mine, like I never wanted to let go...it was amazing. The same when I had to leave again. I know when i see him again, to bring him home, if anyone is there to witness it, i hope they think the same thing...now that, is love.

Cindy said...

You brought a tear to my eye, thanks for such a wonderful post

Noah's Mommy said...

What an absolutely Beautiful Post....I admit...I choked up a bit on this one...it's nice to see the human side of people....

Jen said...

I loved this post. You just captured all the emotions so well. This is one thing that I love about my job as an RN, you get to witness raw human emotion at it best. It is just so powerful and amazing.

Aleta said...

How beautiful and how true. Love really is the essence of this life. Thank you for sharing!

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

Where'd my comment go? I agree with you 100% - love people watching and the airport is the best.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Airports just make me think so much of all the times I had to say goodby to Brian in Canada. They make me think of all the times I traveled by myself across international lines with the children - connecting and customs and midnight flights with a 2 and 3 year old. I really just don't like them - emotions or not.

KEEP BELIEVING

E said...

You pay close attention and snap perfect word pictures for us. Lovely....

stephanie (bad mom) said...

Part of the joy of traveling for me is watching others - either going about their regular business in a foreign (to me) place, or interacting in the midst of it all at the airport/train station/bus stop.

Love it.