Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goals, Schmoals

I used to do New Year's Resolutions every year. And, know what? They never kept. By March I'd be cussing again, or biting my nails again, or eating chocolate again, or gossipping again, or... wait, I swear, I have some good qualities too.

One year, I actually WROTE DOWN my goals. That really did help. I didn't start to slip until about August.

So, this year, I am going to try something different. I am going to have ONE GOAL EACH MONTH. I have decided that it can be the same goal repeated once, but no more than that. And, I will just try to focus on one goal at a time so I don't overwhelm myself. In other words, I won't feel like a colossal failure if I screw up because I can try again in less than 30 days.

So, let's go. Here's what I've got:

January: Put $100 into the bank for savings
February: make it up to 30 minutes on the elliptical machine
March: Lose 5 lbs.
April: Reduce Diet Coke consumption to one can per day
May: Tell/show/write my husband every day that I love him in a different way
June: Contact a friend every day by phone or in person (thanks for the idea Lisa!)
July: Put $100 into the bank for savings
August: read the bible to my children every night
September: Floss or use flouride every day (one or the other)
October: Only go to the grocery store and Wal-Mart once a week.
November: Lose 5 lbs.
December: Actually do the advent calendar or another advent project with my kids every night.

So, we'll see if I can actually keep myself to this list of goals. I've at least written it down, so I've already overcome my initial hurdle. Now, the only obstacle left in my way, is ME!

18 comments:

Dorsey said...

That sounds like an absolutely wonderful idea to me!! I think I might adopt the same philosophy, at least when I get back home I will. Ugh!!

Karin Katherine said...

A goal a month is AWESOME. I love IT. Baby steps. Plus at the end of the year you've accomplished 12 things. Very cool.

Cindy said...

Hey that's a great idea. A whole lot less pressure that's for sure!

Nicole O'Dell said...

That's a great way to do it! Good luck!

Carrie Thompson said...

I LOVE THIS!

Great job.

On Sunday I am starting my once a month accountability club with mr. linky up! you can post at the end of each month how you have met your goals!

I love it! and I love the goals! So random but all so needed! I might join you in some of these specific goals!

mommy nurse said...

What a great idea! I might have to copy this idea.

Sidney (Sixy Mama) said...

This is a very doable list of goals. I'll have to try the same thing so I don't get overwhelmed. There's SO many areas of my life that I need to work on....

Karly said...

I never do resolutions, but THIS is a totally awesome idea. I might go write a January goal on my calender right now. Maybe. We'll see.

Anna See said...

I love this idea! Wasn't even going to make resolutions... maybe I will!

La Pixie said...

one goal a month is a GREAT idea! go for it, babe!!

Jen said...

you know, that is a really great way to do it!

Mrs. S said...

That is a really good idea!!! Good luck!

Jennifer said...

One diet coke a day... are you serious??? Is that even possible? How many do you drink now, like 2?

I really like the advent idea. I almost bought one on clearance at Target. It was nice because it was the nativity and instead of treats or goodies in the boxes it was little charms that you hung on the nativity scene. The only reason I didn't get it is because Baby Girl would have the charms all over the house and the advent part of it would never work. Maybe when the kids are a little older.

Dawn@Embracing the Ordinary Life said...

That's a great idea...I can't wait to see how you do!!

Jamie said...

Great idea! Looks like you've got some pretty attainable goals on there too!

anymommy said...

So reasonable. I'm impressed. I always choose something ridiculous like learn to speak Spanish. Would love to, but isn't going to happen in a year. I'm going to predict almost perfect compliance!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

I am inspired! Keep us posted about how you are doing with each goal!

E said...

I like a goal a month. But I think you need to get yourself in more of those goals, as in take three baths with long chatty novels, eat one decadent chocolate under the stars with Texas Daddy, blow saved $100 on sexy strappy sandals and wear them on date with Texas Daddy.
i know Christmas wasn't perfect, but I think it is because you have four little adorable kids and you my dear have gotten a little lost in the shuffle.
Easily repairable, but you need some goals aimed just at making you happy so you can keep on making everybody else's lives run so cheerily along....