Monday, February 9, 2009

Coupons Gone Wild

I am not a huge fan of coupons. I like to use them, when they are for a product that I use regularly. However, I usually end up buying most things generic because the name-brand item is always more expensive, sometimes even after the coupon discount. And coupons are only for name-brand items, so typically they expire before I use them. I know some women get a thrill out of using coupons, their extra-care bucks from CVS or whatever the equivalent is from Walgreens, and end up buying 5 bars of deodorant for only $8. I'm not that into stockpiling deodorant, but to each her own! (If you like to find great coupon deals, check out this site.)

However, I've been looking to find ways of earning some extra money while being a SAHM. Christine over at Housewife Word Of Mouth has totally motivated me. I thought that I could also help the family finances by trying some super-couponing (hate it though I may). So I sent Texan Papa to the store to buy me a double-issue of the newspaper so I could have 2x the coupons. And I got to a-clippin...

I came across this coupon.


I clipped it because I buy the individually-packaged fruit bowls for my kids quite often. They do not have any hot lunch option at their school, so I pack lunches every day for all 3 of the older Peanuts. I thought, "Hey, $1.00 off is a good deal." But look closer at the fine print:

You have to buy TWELVE packages. Now, these fruit-cups multi-packs cost about $2.00 each. If I buy twelve to save $1.00, then I'd end up spending $24 to save $1. I'll break that down for you, since I'm a math person and I'm nice like that.

It would be the equivalent of saving 4 cents - yes, $0.04 - on an item that cost $1.00. Now, would you even consider wasting your time clipping a coupon for "4 cents off a dollar"? Hell, that doesn't even cover the tax!!!

Uh, Del Monte, I think you might need some help in the marketing department.

17 comments:

Bridgett said...

Ugh, that's a terrible coupon.

I use them rarely, and only on things I already buy--usually they are the little automatic coupons the store spits out at you based on what you just bought.

Anna See said...

Ugh. Coupons drive me crazy. Yes, I might buy 10 Lean Cuisines... but the chance that I'll have the coupon on me and that it won't be expired is ZIP.

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

I'm a big couponer, but I'd never use one that required me to buy 12 of anything.

sassy stephanie said...

I have the same one and it caught my eye. I thought it was 12 cans of blah blah OR a fruit cup pack????

Natalie said...

huh. yeah, that is usually what happens to me when i get all motivated to start clipping coupons!

Dorsey said...

Inevitably I always end up clipping several coupons that we'd actually use, but they never leave the house. I forget all about them and then the hubby ends up doing most of the shopping anyways. Ugh!!

Yeah, I've learned that lesson a time or two myself...they'll kill ya on the small print!

Jen said...

I don't do the coupon thing. There is always the fine print that will get you every time.

McMommy said...

OMG. I swear you are the Texas version of ME. I am the exact same way!! I tried to get excited about coupons, but like you...I always end up buying the generic b/c it's less anyway. My purse overflowth with expired coupons.

Chris said...

I was trying to figure out where you put 48 cups of fruit. LOL

Wendy said...

LOVE that you worked it out. Yay for common sense!

angie said...

I think we've all heard about the lady who buys a cart full of groceries and pays only 12 cents, but...I just can't keep up with it all!

Under you at SITS roll call!

Scary Mommy said...

That is ridiculous!!!! I try with coupons, but always seem to go generic anyway.

Every Day Goddess said...

The only coupon I truly ever use is the one Albertsons sends me for $6 off if I spend $80. I don't have the patience to clip and keep track of all those other ones! But I really wish that I did when I see the lady on tv who gets $150 worth of grocerys for $40. I just don't know where I can fit the whole coupon clipping and keeping track into my time.

Jennifer said...

Thanks. I love a good coupon site. I have a couple of more that I follow. Let me know if you are interested.

I started couponing over the summer. I think it is addictive. Saving money is fun.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

I always have the best intentions with coupons but I usually forget them. I do always remember my bread buyer card (free loaf with every sixth loaf!) and my cloth bags (10 cents off per bag!).
I'd trash that coupon for the cans ;)

Christine said...

Well....I must confess to be being a random couponer (hard to be that excited about it in a one grocery store town). Anyway, i thought I would inspire you to write more by passing on an awesome award waiting for you on my blog!

Indy said...

I hate this coupon. Makes me crazy. I am trying to use coupons more too. Good luck with it.