Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dating in the 21st century

I have officially been "off the market" for over 11 years now (including the time of my engagement). I know, I know... hearts breaking around the world and all that junk. But seriously, when I was last on the dating scene, a guy and a girl would get to know each other the usual way: drink till he's/she's cute, solo wedding guest hook-up, bond over a mutual love of Dungeons and Dragons, etc. You know, the typical stuff. Occasionally, you might have a friend who wanted to set you up with her boyfriend's friend, and do the whole "double date" thing. Which, in my experience, always turned into an awkward evening of talking to a guy with food stuck in his teeth while we were both forced to witness a marathon make-out session, compliments of our matchmaker friends.

The dating scene now? I cannot even imagine it. Google, facebook, myspace, and twitter: while they seem fun and useful at times, they can also be the worst enemy of a person trying to meet someone new. Where has all the anonymity gone? Are blind dates really ever "blind" anymore? What ever happened to the days when a person could meet a possible mate, make a horrible first impression, put their foot in their mouth, and sabotage their own happiness? And, it's no longer necessary to even worry about making a good first impression, because more than likely your new companion already knows that you wet the bed until you were 9 years old. He knows that you just got out of a long, disastrous relationship. He knows that you dye your hair. HE KNOWS THAT YOU LIKE NEIL DIAMOND. All because of the magic of the internet.

All the crap that's out there on the interwebz can lead to a whole pile of headaches. I just read the most hilarious story from katydidnot about a date she recently had. And the truth is that it scares me shitless to think about what my kids are gonna face in 25 years when I finally let them go on dates. Group dates. Chaperoned by me of course.

10 comments:

Jess said...

Yikes!
I don't even want my girls to date when they grow up! I'll just arrange a marriage for them!!!

Christine said...

That link was hysterical! Thanks for helping with my morning entertainment.....I guess any future boyfriend of my girls will know that Rebecca endlessly picks wedgies, and Regan is completely random in every thought.....Oh wait they will learn that in the first five minutes anyway!

Debbi said...

Thanks for reminding me what yuckiness lies ahead of me, once this divorce goes through. Yikes.

I'm sooo not excited about dating. Good thing, though, is I LIKE the fact that there's no 'anonymity'. I like knowing that, if he doesn't like my obsession with Celine Dion, he doesn't have to waste my time dating me. lol

Jennifer said...

As I tell my single friends all the time, I'm so glad I'm married.

AJ said...

MS and FB are both a HUGE reason to rethink divorce! lol :-)

Jen said...

I just broke out in a cold sweat Thank you very much! Dating..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bridgett said...

bond over mutual love of Dungeons and Dragons. Hilarious. And true.

Texas Lutherans said...

Know what's fun????

Watching people on first dates.

I've noticed a large squirm factor. It might have to do with... "Did he see my blog post today? Does he know I'm wearing matching bra and panties?"

Ugh. Texan Papa could care less about whether my bra/panties match! Ahhh marriage.

Chris said...

LOL I am SOOO not looking forward to the whole dating thing!!!

Natalie said...

you are going to let your kids date? i think we are just going to lock ours in their rooms...