Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I've Never

What have you never done? Anything you'd like to do? Anything you've seen others do and thank GOD you've never been that crazy?

I got this idea from Lisa over at Mommying On The Fly. I am supposed to ask my own question, then answer in the comments. But, I am going to just answer the question myself and ask YOU to comment. IF you'd like to add to the "I Never" list, just go to this post.

So, her "I never" was "I never... hitchhiked."

Well, I have never done that either... in the United States. HOWEVER when I was a junior in college, I spent a semester abroad in Ireland. It was totally awesome. I would like to suggest anyone who has the means, to set aside money so that your child can study abroad while in college. It was definitely a life-changing experience for me. It gave me perspective. It gave me maturity. It was an opportunity I will never have again, and I so appreciate my parents for making it possible.

So, in Ireland, I met a guy. This guy was nothing serious, but I wanted to meet some Irish fella and fall in love, blah blah blah. Didn't happen. BUT Danny O'Sullivan (yes, his real name) did ask me out on a date. We were going to Kildare to play some golf. I hate golf, but I thought this guy might be my knight in shining armor. He showed up at my host's house, sans transportation. I asked him, well, how are we getting there? I don't think any buses will run this late. "Oh, we're gonna tum it, ya know." I was like, WTF is "tum"? So I asked, "What do you mean, 'tum'?" And he said, "You know... TUM" and he proceded to stick out his big thumb, the international signal for "Cars please pick me up" and "These fries taste yummy". I looked at him like he was out of his mind. I told him there was NO way I was going to hitch a ride for a date. This blew any hopes I had of him being my knight. We ended up going to a pub and I ruined my brand new pair of Doc Martens because I had to walk through a muddy field to get there.

Ahh, memories.

BUT a couple of weeks later, I talked to the son of my host family, who told me he had given a ride to whole group of students from my same program! He drove them from the University into town, about 5 miles. He told me that hitchhiking in Ireland is very safe and actually considered to be an acceptable way to get around.

On that note, you should totally read Round Ireland With a Fridge. It is one of the funniest books I've ever read. It is the story of a guy who, for a 100-irish-pound bet, takes a fridge (dorm size) and hitchhikes around the perimeter of Ireland in one month. Just the two of them. Him and his trusty sidekick. I laughed my arse off. Check it out.

And, on the subject of reading, you should totally get on board with Holly the Anglophile's reading challenge: PMS (People Masquerading as Scholars). This month we're reading About the Author by John Colapinto. C'mon, you can do it!

8 comments:

Megryansmom said...

I hitched A LOT in high school in CHICAGO. What was I thinking!!!???

Chris said...

I wish our country was that safe. I can't even stand to let my children out to play by themselves, let alone think about them "tumming" a ride somewhere.

April said...

I've never hitch hiked either. It is my dream to one day go to Ireland. Don't know if I would hitch hike there either though. My luck, some crazy killer would be the car that stopped.

Jen said...

Oh the things that we do when you are young.

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

I've never tummed... Nor have I picked up a tummer...

Elaine A. said...

Hey there! Just came to visit after adding you to the blogger dinner list (per Holly). And now I am following you (I mean your blog, not is some stalker way!) Hope I get to meet you at the end of the month!

And I think hitchhiking would be cool if it was safe but then I'll talk to ANYONE so that's probably why...

Aleta said...

I've never hitch hiked, nor picked up one either. I was too cautious as a child. Lol.

Chris said...

You have an award at my place. Come get it before it gets buried under the snow. =D