Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Number 3

On my list of favorite things, Netflix is Number 3. Not that my favorite things are ranked, because my affection for my favorite things waxes and wanes with my mood. But, some things will always be on my list and Netflix is one of them.

Why do I love Netflix? I could count the ways, but I will just tell you a few things:
  • When we lived in rural IL, it was about 7 miles to the nearest grocery store (aka movie rental place). So, if I needed to get my movie back before 6pm, or else face late fees, that usually didn't happen. But Netflix not only does not charge late fees but also the deliver the movies right to my door!!!
  • I love to watch movies instantly. I believe you have to have a fast processor on your computer to do this, but my computer (Tootsie Toshiba) is pretty basic and she delivers the movies perfectly. Right now, I'm watching Gone Baby, Gone with Casey Affleck. I had to pause the movie to write this blog post, though, before Baby Sally wakes up from her nap and I have to pick the Peanuts up from school.
  • Netflix has so many movies that I would never otherwise think of getting at the movie store. For example, I watched a documentary last month called Paperclips. The movie tells the story of a middle school in rural Tennessee that did a Holocaust Project, collecting paperclips. The paperclips are significant, as was the motivation behind the project. As a teacher, this movie touched me so much. It seemed to be the antithesis of everything wrong that's going on in schools today. The teachers, students, and community all came together to make this project happen. All I can say about the movie, is it was beautiful. Please, if you have Netflix, watch it online or order the DVD. And if you don't have Netflix, buy it somewhere.

And, for what it's worth, of course I did not get paid to endorse Netflix. I think everyone knows how awesome they are, they don't need to pay anyone to shout their accolades. And one of these days I'm actually going to publish that post about my favorite things. None of which possibly cost more than $25. Oprah eat your heart out. I luv bargains.

7 comments:

Bridgett said...

Agree.

I've been watching Law & Order CI reruns on netflix at, say, 3:30 in the morning on Mike's laptop. It's a sanity saver.

Dorsey said...

I used to use Netflix, but dumped it in an effort to save money. Then I got caught by Blockbuster online. It is basically the same thing, but you can trade out the rented movies in the store with movies they have there. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! It costs me NOTHING to rent new releases when I trade them out. And I'm a movie addict!! I usually watch 3-6 a week. hehe

Jennifer said...

I love me some netflix too. I think on my favorite list it comes right behind DVR.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

I loved Netflix but we got so busy, we'd have DVDs sitting by the TV for weeks before watching. Might go back to it in the summer.
Hope you enjoyed the movie!

Jen said...

Totally agree with you. Netflex rocks!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Tell me what you think of Gone Baby Gone. I loved it. I love movies that make me think and are morally conflicting.

KEEP BELIEVING

Karly said...

I like Netflix too, but I never remember to send the movies back so I never get new movies. Oh well, at least I'm not paying $100 late fees (like I have AT LEAST three times in the past). I'm a very bad movie renter.

And I loved Gone Baby, Gone.