Monday, February 16, 2009

What's In A Name?

About a month after I started my blog, I regretted the name I'd chosen for my blog.

WHO PUT ME IN CHARGE OF THESE PEOPLE???

That's one damn long name. Maybe I should have gone with...

BEING A STAY AT HOME MOM IS SOMETIMES EXHAUSTING BUT ALWAYS EXHILARATING

because, ya know, if you're gonna have a long name you might as well really go for it!

Or, alternately,

MISSOURIWISCONSINILLINOISIRELANDTEXAS MOM

since those are all the places I've lived.

And, I think it's strange that, although I call my blog "Who Put Me In Charge Of These People???" I don't usually talk about the people of whom I'm in charge. Technically, I am a mommy blogger, but really my content would more accurately be called a mixed bag of deranged thoughts, crying fits, confused questions, and an occasional plug of infomercial products. Sure, my kids get thrown into the mix here and there, but mostly I focus on what I'm thinking about at any particular moment. Maybe I should have named my blog,

WHERE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF ME???

I hope that my blog name is unique. I have to admit that I get quite confused when I see blogs with titles such as "momof3boys" or "mom3boys" or 3boys1mom", etc. I think there are only so many ways a blog's name can be born and remain memorable. Although, there are always tricks you can use to have a memorable blogger name. Like, maybe....

IBITEMYTOENAILS.BLOGSPOT.COM

or...

SHOWERSAREFORSISSIES.BLOGSPOT.COM

and possibly...

ELVISISMYNEXTDOORNEIGHBOR.BLOGSPOT.COM

And, how about those blogs that have a name completely unassociated with their blog address? Not that there is anything wrong with doing it... I just personally have a hard time finding them again once I've decided, "Hey, I liked that blog! But I didn't bookmark it... now where is it?" Like, the blog's title might be "SMOOCHES AND POOCHES" but the web address is theredfiretruck.blogspot.com Uh, Wha? I don't ge... How did you...

Am I the only one who feels I've gone a little bit Andy Rooney here?

16 comments:

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

LOL-I think your blog name is great :)

I put zero thought into mine. I barely knew there was a blogging world when I started!

Chris said...

I read this at 4:17 this morning while nursing the little one. It totally cracked me up, made me laugh and made the baby stop eating and give me dirty looks for interrupting her meal.

I love the name of your blog. It's one of my top 5 favorites.

Jen said...

I like your name, it is fun and I can remember it.
I am one of those where the URL and the name don't match. Sorry. I had a name change and forgot to change the URL. Now it is too late. *sigh*

sassy stephanie said...

I like your name. Memorable and sums up "mommyhood", you mommy blogger you.

Noah's Mommy said...

I like it....and I can totally see the Andy Rooney...60 minutes vibe going on...but you really had me rolling...

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much. I really need a laugh today and this was hilarious. And damn, I wish I would have thought of elvisismynextdoorneighbor.blogspot. That is awesome.

Chris said...

I'm back... for the 3rd time today. LOL I was just looking through some of my old posts and found this paragraph. It's from more than 2 weeks ago.

"I like blogs with titles that I can relate to & words like snot and booger. For example Wiping Up Snot, A Schmitty Life, Baby Boogers, Idiot's Stew, Poop on Jelly and Who Put Me In Charge Of These People???"

See? I wasn't just prompted by your post to say I like it. I'd already said it. =P

Bridgett said...

Perhaps a little meta-blog talk, yes, but not quite Andy Rooney...and I'm surprised elvisismynextdoorneighbor hasn't been taken.

I debated my blog's name a long time. I think my subsequent niche/themed blogs have better names than my South City Musings. Although I guess that's what it is, in a way--more family than originally planned, but still a lot of neighborhood and parish...and the word musings just seems pretentious 3 years later. South City Whining or Kvetching would have been more apropos.

Bridgett said...

Oh, and...My sister changes her name a lot--but the URL stays the same (maybe why some of them have different addresses?). Right now she's Banana Tuesdays. Whatever that means. At least I know what yours implies...

Natalie said...

he he. i am one of those that the blog url and blog name are very different. we started this blog so that i could quit emailing pictures to family. then like 3 years later i discovered a blogging community and wanted to be a part of it. that is when my blog needed a name rather than just a standard header supplied by blogger. thus the non matching.

i have a plan though....just not enough time to execute!!!

Mandy said...

My blog would be one of those with a different address and title. :(

I have an excuse!!! :)

My husband set the blog up for me. It's HIS fault!! LOL Changing it all now would mean having to notify everyone, transfer everything, etc. etc. etc. The thought of it makes me want to pull my hair out. Ya know? :)

Sturgmom said...

Your url is actually one of the few I can remember- probably b/c I ask myself that very question eleventy-seven times a day.

I agree that blog URLs and titles should match, but I also think it's hard to come up with a clever, memorable name, especially when everyone is already wittier than you (general).

I was never happy with my blog name and URL and finally came up with something satisfactory only recently. It's a hard blog world, huh? ;)

Mrs. S said...

hahah that made me laugh! I have to agree, having a lengthy name can be a pain!

anymommy said...

I like the name too - of course, I have a long blog name too, so solidarity ;-) Love the new look too.

San said...

Hiya! Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving such nice comments! :blush: U made my day! ;)

And as for that border around your signature, I think U can do one of the following:

a. in the html code, ensure it says border=0.
b. else, save the image of your signature, upload into photobucket and then use that! :)

Hope it works!

Carrin said...

I think my blog name is pretty boring but i didn't really know about the whole blog world when I started. I wanted to change it to something super cute or trendy but I'm just lazy!