Friday, February 20, 2009

When Worlds Collide

Meeting "bloggy people" in real life always freaks me out a little bit. I feel like I am getting to know people pretty well online, but when I have to see a blog-friend face to face, I always mentally review my self-defense skills, in case "Katie's Mommy"* turns out to be "Recently Released $exual Offender".

My first experience meeting someone from the interwebz was when my buddy Carrie came into town for some Christmas shopping. She was up in DFW with her 3 kids and I suggested we all meet up. When she actually took me up on my suggestion, I pulled back a little bit. "Oh no, what have I done???" Then, when I told Texan Papa, "Yeah, I'm going to meet my friend from the internet at P.F. Chang's for lunch." he looked at me with a cocked eyebrow. I think it sounded like a fishy story to him, and I don't blame him. I think maybe he thought "internet friend" was code for "some guy on match.com who I told that I was single." It sounded like a lame story to me, too, although if I was really going to cheat on him with some dude I met on the internet, I think I at least wouldn't be HONEST with him about it, right? Finally, before I walked out the door, I swore I'd call him on my way home to verify that I hadn't been chopped up and packed into a suitcase by a serial killer. Luckily, the only knife Carrie used was on the Honey Chicken.

Earlier this week I met Natalie. We - no, she - realized that we go to the same gym so she suggested that we meet for step class. Well, that class, uh, kicked. my. arse. I am still sore days later. She's so nice to help me get my little step platform and risers and everything. I looked like a dead fish about 30 minutes into the class, and she's just a dynamo! I know, she cut me some slack because she knows I'm a beginner. What she doesn't know is that I actually AM a slacker. I realize that my resolution for February - go 30 minutes on the elliptical machine - was like child's play compared to finishing a step class. Anyway, Natalie is just so down to earth and easy going and I'm all "...(wheeze)...(heart pounding)...water??"


Now, next week I am meeting up with Pinky for lunch. I know she's got da mad skillz on the camera, so I'm going to pick her brain. I would LOVE to get a new camera, but that's a sticky subject right now in the Texan Household. Please don't make me get into it. Maybe for another day, when y'all haven't heard a rant from me in a while. But now? Well, not just yet. Let's see how it plays out.


And, next week, I am SO pumped to be going to the DFW Blogger Dinner. It's going to be so awesome, just as if I were walking the red carpet, except I'm going to be like a seat-filler at the Academy Awards and all the other bloggy-ladies are going to be like Brangelina and Bennifer and all the other famous peeps. I'll probably sit there at the table with my mouth agape and just say, "No, I'm sure you have no idea who I am. Just let me bask in your presence."

Then, after all this is over, I can go back to my normal anonymity, where I walk around the grocery store, picking up Fruit Roll-Ups and Tyson chicken patties, while I look at every shopper and think, "I wonder if SHE has a blog." "I wonder if HE has a blog." "I wonder what that GRANDPA would write if he had a blog - heck he probably DOES have a blog!" And if anyone asks me if I have a blog, I usually just say, "A what?"

*Not the real name of any blogger I know. Hopefully not the real name of any blogger. Hopefully also not the name of any Recently Released $exual Offender

13 comments:

Jen said...

I would so LOVE to meet some bloggy buddies. What to plan a trip?

Christine said...

I almost got to meet Dorsey from "Searching for my inner skinny"....but it fell through....and I know noone else in my part of Texas that blogs....I just keep meeting myself coming and going. But, I do get to Dallas about twice a year and do a mean tour of Sam Moon anytime you want to hook up!

Christine said...

I almost got to meet Dorsey from "Searching for my inner skinny"....but it fell through....and I know noone else in my part of Texas that blogs....I just keep meeting myself coming and going. But, I do get to Dallas about twice a year and do a mean tour of Sam Moon anytime you want to hook up!

Christine said...

I almost got to meet Dorsey from "Searching for my inner skinny"....but it fell through....and I know noone else in my part of Texas that blogs....I just keep meeting myself coming and going. But, I do get to Dallas about twice a year and do a mean tour of Sam Moon anytime you want to hook up!

Christine said...

I almost got to meet Dorsey from "Searching for my inner skinny"....but it fell through....and I know noone else in my part of Texas that blogs....I just keep meeting myself coming and going. But, I do get to Dallas about twice a year and do a mean tour of Sam Moon anytime you want to hook up!

Eudea-Mamia said...

You make me laugh!!

I promise I'm not a sex offender. I can't vouch for the other 24 that are coming. My Hubs calls it my "Trekkie convention" and wants to make sure I don't walk to the parking garage by myself.

I'm just pissed my hairdresser can't work me in to touch up my roots. I'll be the one in the hat...

Can't wait to meet you! Em

Bridgett said...

What's really scary is to meet someone out of context who reads you. This happened to me at an irish dance competition. The woman next to me turned and said, "You have a Maeve? Are you South City Musings?" Creepy. But worse: my friend Ann was in the airport and struck up a conversation with another knitter at the gate. Turned out, the knitter read Ann's blog that morning....

Dorsey said...

I SOOO want to have dinner with my DFW bloggy buddies!!! Can I come? hehe

Chris said...

I think Christine almost got to meet Dorsey. *giggles*

That last paragraph about wondering about other bloggers, I do that all the time!!!!

Natalie said...

okay, first it was very exciting to meet you and you did fabulous at step...i was wondering where you were this morning!

oh and don't worry. we will sit together as seat-fillers at the blogger dinner!!!

i just wish i had a way to figure out who my anonymous blog stalkers are so i wouldn't be surprised when they say something to me in real life.

Carrie Thompson said...

I was gonna make Texas Mama take a picture from some weird guy at PF Changs but thought better of it, Texan Papa might never let her blog again!!!

I read Smoothing Stones Academy for the longest time and then when Hurricane Ike hit, she blogged about her area and I was like WOW she I know where she LIVES. It is weird!

I think it is awesome you get to go to a Bloggy conference thing! That is awesome, I wonder if we have one here???

Anna See said...

What fun! If we ever get a chance to meet I can 100% guarantee I'm not a sex offender or a serial killer. :)

Jennifer said...

I've met my interent friends from my mommy groups and I loved them. It was like meetin soemone I had known forever.