Sunday, March 22, 2009

Best Buy Don't Fail Me Now

So... I got my camera. SQUEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, in true form of myself, I am too afraid to open it and test it out. I feel like I will be violating the threshold of its "newness". I have bought lithium batteries for it... I have a 4gig memory card... all ready to go. Now all I need to do is turn it on...

So when I went to Best Buy on Friday to get my camera, which was on sale, the sales guy told me about their restocking fee of 15% if I should choose to return the camera once it has been opened. I asked, "But what if I just don't like the camera after all, even if there's nothing wrong with it?" to which he replied, "That is what the restocking fee is for. That's why I asked you if you had any questions about the camera." (me? I tend to try the product out and THEN formulate the questions... like, how to I take a picture?... that sort of thing) Well, I contemplated for a brief moment to just ditch the whole thing and go home empty handed. But I was too far into the situation now. The camera was in my hand. The cash was burning a hole in my pocket. I literally handed $388.79 over to him and walked out with my camera.

But all day, I kept having this niggling feeling of fear, that I wouldn't like the camera and I'd end up being stuck with it. So what that I'd visited the amazon.com site and read reviews and in over 400 reviews the lowest mark it got was 3 stars, with a huge majority of reviewers giving it 5 stars? So what if Dorsey had let me play with her camera, the exact same model? So what if Canon is a premier name in photo equipment? I mean, I like to at least have the option of returning. And, you know who does great returns? Yes, Wal-Mart.

So, I went back to Best Buy to return my COMPLETELY UNOPENED camera. And, I was honest: I want to return it because I don't like the restocking fee policy. Well, Craig (Customer Service Dude) told me, "We don't have a restocking fee."
TM: "Uh, the photo salesman told me that you do. 15%."
CSD:"Well, we used to but we don't anymore. It's okay. You can open it and try it and if you don't like it just bring it back within 14 days."
TM: "You look like a nice guy and I'm sure you're VERY believable. But right here on the back of the receipt it says, 'RESTOCKING FEE - 15%.' So I'm sure you can understand why I am concerned that I will go home, open my box, not like the camera, then bring it back and Bob, some other Customer Service Dude, will say, 'I don't know who Craig is and yes of course we have a restocking fee.'"
CSD: "That's not going to happen. See, Best Buy is testing out, in some markets, to get rid of the restocking fee. Our district is one market they're trying it on. So, you're safe."
TM (The perennial what-iffer): "Uh, okay, sure. But just to be safe, can you please write on the back of my receipt, "There is no restocking fee.' and sign your name? Yeah, right there, next to the place where it says 'RESTOCKING FEE 15%'. Yeah, that's great."
CSD: "Okay, you should have no problems now. And, batteries are right over there. You know it takes 4 double-A's right?"

And so, all's well that ends well. I hope. I am going to save the big deflowering of my new camera for Monday at about noon, when the house will be blissfully quiet with 3 kids at school and one baby down for a nap.

17 comments:

Chris said...

WooT WooT!!!!

That's awesome! I can't wait to see some pictures.

I love that you made the guy write that on the back. You're a smart cookie!!

Jenny said...

I'd have done the same thing! I can't wait to see the pictures!

Halftime Lessons said...

Good for your for covering yourself...

Ill be honest. I hate Best Buy with the heat and fury of a thousand suns, and I will never give them even one more of my hard earned dollars.

Man it feels good to say that.

Wendy said...

Oh, this is so funny! I don't blame you one bit. $400 is a LOT of money to risk.

I have a Canon Rebel. Seriously LOVE LOVE LOVE my Canon. I hope you love yours as much.

(And buried in my blog is my "I Hate Best Buy" post, LOL).

Natalie said...

yeah for you.

i bought my $$$ camera at Arlington Camera (local owned place) since they were willing to match the 'big guys' prices AND they give a FREE photography class to their customers that purchase a new camera. they also give me $10 of free photo developing per month for a year and several other little perks that the 'big guys' don't offer. one of those perks is that everyone that works there actually knows how to use cameras and will help you anytime if you just bring it in and tell them the problem you are having. anyway, if you are still nervous about the best buy stuff, you might call them and see if they will price match it for you.

The Nice One said...

Wow, how exciting that you got your new camera. Can't wait to see how pics turn out! Camera is on my list right below "new laptop"

Jen said...

Just open that darn thing and start taking picture you big TURD!

PS I am SO happy for you and I just know that you will L.O.V.E. it!

Sriram said...

Hi friend.. Interesting post.. Nice blog work.. keep it up..
will drop by your site often.. Do find time to visit my blog and post your comments..
Have a great day.. Cheers!!!

Shana said...

Happy to have found your blog! And glad to hear that Best Buy is rethinking their fee bc it sux! Have fun w/your new camera! (Fellow Texan down South, but grew up in DFW)!

Christine said...

Oh, I am so happy that you finally earned enough to get your camera. You must be so very proud of yourself. I know I would be grinnning to myself all day (and probably annoyingly pointing out to others) that I had bought and paid for it. Congratulations and hugs to you from south Texas

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Yay--you got your camera--I have never heard of a restocking fee. It sounds pretty silly to me!

Anyway I hope you have lots of fun with it! we have a Canon and are very happy with it. I am sure yours is going to be great!

E said...

And umm...how about some pictures, ma'am???

Jennifer said...

Congrats. And I had to laugh because I would have done the exact same thing.

Cookie Crums said...

Yay for new camera!!! I'm watching something other than my Kodak Easy Share.... I want a "big girl" camera now! Ha Ha!! Keep me informed how you like it. I'm going to start looking around and asking opinions.

Have fun tomorrow at noon when you open that bad boy!!

sassy stephanie said...

Yay for the new cam! And I'm totally with you. I can not stand things like restocking fees. All they do it either resell it or send it back to the manufacturer.

Dorsey said...

I'm SOOO thrilled that you got your camera!! Yay!!

Good call on getting the guy to sign the receipt! You're on smart cookie!

Bridgett said...

Ok, THAT is a hilarious conversation.