Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How do I Read To You?

And by that title, I mean, what do you think I look like?

I had many comments after my last post that revealed some bloggers' surprise at the fact that I am a blonde. And my first thought was, "Well, THAT'S one I've never heard before."

I wondered, what exactly does a blonde blogger read like? I guess I had everyone fooled... hopefully I have broken the blonde blogger stereotype. I am just so confused. What is it about my blog that shouts "BRUNETTE!!!!!"? Should I give my blog the occasional sprinkling of "Like, NO way" and the occasional "That's hot" so that everyone knows exactly what type of person they are reading? I got this reaction from people at the dinner as well as readers who saw the photo recap. Exactly what is it about my writing that exudes brown roots?

Going to the DFW blogger dinner was a bit unnerving for me. I am kinda a freak about my anonymity. I have done a lot to protect my name, my kids' names, and of course Texan Papa's name. So, I felt like going to the blogger dinner was coming out of the closet. I had a big place card with my name on it, but not the name I'm known by - Texan Mam. Some folks looked at my name card, and I said, "My handle is 'Texan Mama'" at which point I was on the receiving end of the lightbulb-moment expression. But, since I felt that I could actually be myself around all these fantastic people, I thought it would be fine to let my hair down. I talked about my kids, my husband, where we live, etc. I figured, hey, these people are sharing too. For me not to give out my personal information, well, that would just be RUDE! And now, I've decided to really put myself out there: I told some real-life friends that I write a blog. I am still hiding in the corner, awaiting the fallout of that decision. I am praying that I don't get weird looks from my friends after I post about things like pubic hair.

And, by the way, if you want to see other pictures of me and read about my family, just click on the "Texan Mama" tab at the top of my blog (just under the header title).

13 comments:

Halftime Lessons said...

Im with you...it's a bit scary, and my wife hates the concept of sharing on the internet...

Make you a deal...I wont stalk you if you dont stalk me. There. See? easy.

;-)

Megryansmom said...

I envision most bloggers as brunettes, unless they have a picture posted. Probably because I'm brunette and that's just how I relate.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Well I always saw you as a blondes...fellow blondes know ;)

It is scary to share with your friends--I panicked yesterday when I got a follow on Twitter from our youth pastor. How'd he even know?!

Christine said...

Hardly anyone I know. knows I blog.....it is completely a second life for me. Most of my friends just think I am a product reviewer....but do not know that I actually blog about them, and about my family in general. I am not afraid to post my kids real names, because I have never said where we live.

Personally I never think about what a blogger looks like, I just enjoy reading daily.

Chris said...

Do any of you ever picture bloggers as redheads? LOL

Natalie said...

i was laughing at all of the comments from people being surprised that you are blond. i guess i don't usually picture what people look like but like i said in my post...i am more surprised by what the REALLY sound like.

Nicole O'Dell said...

I always think of a certain friend of mine when I read your blog. So, yes, I always thought of you as brunette, but that's why.

:)

Ps. I'm grabbing your button for my "network" page.

Aleta said...

I don't think of what a person looks like as I'm reading their blog. I wait until they want to share a picture.

But... that said.. why pick on brunettes? Hey, you could have been a redhead!

Bridgett said...

How did I already know you were blond? Hmm.

I have lots of mental images of the folks I read and I'm always surprised one way or another (two of the ones I read I thought were women, for instance, and weren't...but not in a creepy pretending way--they just didn't write about significant others at all and went by handles that revealed nothing).

Anna See said...

I like your pics. I didn't really have a picture of what you looked like. It's weird having a friend whom you've never seen before.

As for going public w/ your blog, it is a little weird. I have a facebook account and would like to share w/ high school friends, but I'm afraid somehow it will bite me in the butt.

stephanie (bad mom) said...

I don't know that I felt a 'brunette' vibe; not sure what I was thinking really.

However, the 'outing' yourself thing definitely resonates with me - as a teacher & PTA board member, I need to consider how any given parent or colleague might take what I've written. Honestly, my biggest concern is my parents reading my blog. And I'm 40. Weird.

Sturgmom said...

I'm so jealous that you got to meet other bloggers!

The Stiletto Mom said...

It was so great to meet you! I know what you mean about "coming out of the closet". I was pretty quiet the first few months and stayed anonymous, but once I started meeting people it was so fun I just threw that idea out the window. Great to meet you, loving reading up on your blog posts!