Friday, March 6, 2009

One Whale of a Garage Sale

For people looking to snag a good deal, garage sales are really great. However, I find that they tend to be hit-or-miss. Follow the pink signs, taped to wooden paint-stir-sticks, with the balloons attached... only to find a single table filled with Christmas decorations, homemade tchotchkes, and a computer from 1994. That's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

What some people may not realize is that there is a huge market for second-hand Gymboree, Baby Gap, and Sketchers. The smart moms who know this, know to clean those items up and resell them to the next size 3T up the block. But, who needs to wait for the people to come to you? You can bring your clothes to the MOBY DICK OF ALL GARAGE SALES.

This week I am participating in the Just Between Friends Consignment Sale in Fort Worth. The idea is that you take your childrens' items (clothes, toys, books, videos, shoes, furniture, diaper pails, bike helmets, etc.) and name your price, then sell them to the public in one giant sale. This event started out small, taking up only a couple of rooms at a church. Now it has expanded so much that it takes the Will Rogers Memorial Exhibition Hall in downtown Fort Worth to contain all of its awesomeness. Here are some pictures of what I saw on Tuesday Night:





























And, I wanted to show you a very unique item I had never seen before. It was so unique that I took a picture but didn't purchase it; but I think you'll enjoy it:
Yes, this is a potty-chair that's not quite the garden variety type. It is a training-urinal. At first when I saw it, I kept staring, wondering, what is this thing? Then it hit me like a urinal puck. OMG this is for little guys to learn how to squirt into the urinal. HOW CUTE!
How pathetic is that that I think urinals are cute?
I have to admit that while I was volunteering at the consignment sale, I had to fight back tears a few times for different reasons. As I was placing my own items onto the racks and tables to be offered up for sale to people who CLEARLY would not appreciate them as much as I did, I kept thinking, "I remember when Peppermint Patty wore that to her birthday party!" or "I have pictures of Charlie Brown wearing that on the first day of school!" or "I still remember when Linus insisted on wearing that outfit every single day for a week." Sentimental attachments make it hard to cut the apron strings. Then, of course, I saw many pregnant women and also tons of baby clothes. Like, teeny tiny baby clothes. It reminded me of the baby I lost when I had actually not thought about the little Peanut for quite a while. I choked back the sadness when I asked women "When are you due?" They would respond "Early June" - just the same as I was supposed to be. So, I almost feel a little selfish grieving for my lost baby when so many people are going through so much more and so much worse. But grief's a funny thing: just when you think you've kicked its ass, it comes back and opens up a can of whoop-ass right back on ya.

18 comments:

Carebear said...

I'm so disappointed I didn't know about this earlier! My mom was in Fort Worth on business all week! She could've scoped out the awesomeness of this sale for me! Oh, and BTW, we bought the Peter Potty for our little man 6 months ago. I think he's actually used it twice. Though he flushes it EVERYTIME he's in that bathroom. He thinks it's a toy. Fun site. Found you through colored with memories.

Jennifer said...

First, I'm sorry for your sadness. And it doesn't matter if you think your situation is "not as bad as some" it is still hard for you and that is what matters. God doesn't care how small your load is. He still helps you carry it.

Second, OH.MY.GOD! I would love, love, love to go to that "garage" sale. If I had known about that we would be packing up the kids and spending the weekend in Dallas. LOL

sassy stephanie said...

Holy crap that's allotta crap!

That urinal...hilarious!

Christine said...

I used to do Divine Consign in Plano with my sister....but this weekend I am having my own garage sale....gotta make that spending cash for Disney don'cha know.

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Wow I wish I lived closer...I love a good deal.

Sturgmom said...

I've participated in JBF for a couple of years, mostly buying for my daughter, but I sold some stuff in the fall and make a decent chunk of change. I'll be selling again this spring, but the one in Central TX isn't as large (obviously) as the ones in D/FW. I SO want to go to the Ft. Worth one- it looks amazing!

Sturgmom said...

I've participated in JBF for a couple of years, mostly buying for my daughter, but I sold some stuff in the fall and make a decent chunk of change. I'll be selling again this spring, but the one in Central TX isn't as large (obviously) as the ones in D/FW. I SO want to go to the Ft. Worth one- it looks amazing!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

There's that word again - tchotchkes.

And I do not think I have ever heard the word cute as an adjective to describe urinal.

KEEP BELIEVING

Christina said...

I've wanted to check out JBF, but never made it. WOW.

I have a friend that sells her Gymboree stuff on Ebay and makes a killing. She said the worse the economy does, the better that namebrand second-hand stuff sells!

Jen said...

This is one mother of all sales. I totally could have used some stuff from there.

And I am sorry that this made you sad. Grief is funny like that.

Megryansmom said...

I'm quivering at the thought of this sale. Oh how I wish we had something like that here. Our parish sale is just eh.

Chris said...

Cool Beans! That should help you close in on (or pass) your camera funds goal.

Get it while the gettin's good!! I'm surprised they're even allowing that sale considering the new law about selling kids items that haven't been tested for lead. (Like the books you spoke of in yesterday's post)

Good luck to you!!!

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

That is a very big sale! Hope you had fun :)

Natalie said...

holy smokes! that is even bigger than i pictured!!!

oh and i agree. i had a miscarriage 6 years ago and sometimes the grief slaps me right in the face all over again...

Scary Mommy said...

I SO wanna go shopping there. WOW!!! And, I am sending you a big cyber hug, babe...

Wendy said...

Do they have one of these in Houston??!!

anymommy said...

A hard, sad day that you still managed to make fun. I'm sorry that you faced reminders of your loss - and I'm so impressed and inspired by your attitude.

Wendy said...

Thanks for the link! The one in my area is THIS WEEK! Woo-hooooo!