Sunday, March 1, 2009

Putting a Face to a Blog

So, I survived.

I went to the DFW Blogger dinner. And I didn't trip, or spill my drink, or get food in my teeth (that I know of). I had a good time, but I am pretty exhausted from all the butterflies bumping around inside my tummy for the last 6 hours.

All the internal turmoil started this morning. What was I going to wear? I debated... Jeans? Dress? Jeans? Dress? Eventually, I decided to wear a dress because I figured that I don't get a girls' night out that often, so I should probably wear something festive - and something I wouldn't normally wear to carpool.

I gave strict instructions to Texan Papa: "If you start to feel sick at work, and you think you might come home and be too ill to watch the kids, be SURE to call a babysitter from work. Because I am not cancelling my dinner plans."

I washed my hair. And blow-dried it. AND flat-ironed it. AND PUT PRODUCT IN IT. Sheesh, you'd think I was entering a pageant or something. I put on some new fun jewelry, I put on more makeup than I've worn in about a year, and I was off. I was so nervous for my blind date with the DFW blogging crew.

I rode to the dinner with Natalie, which helped ease my nerves. She and I talked a bunch in the car on the ride up to the Galleria. Well, we tried to talk but kept getting interrupted by that sassy Garmin navigator of hers. It can NOT shut up. What an attention whore.

When we arrived, we both looked around for familiar faces. We looked at each other like, "Well, I guess it's now or never..." so we started smiling at people as if to say, Hi. Do I look like I write a blog? Do you recognize my profile photo?

I got to hear the voices that I'd only pictured in my ears. I got to see how tall Dorsey is, and I got to ask Lisa a million questions about food and homeschooling. I finally met Em face-to-face and I talked Holly's ear off about burbmom.net. Plus, I got to meet many other bloggers. And, there were some I didn't get to talk to but I hope to someday.

Finally, around 11pm, we decided we'd better all get home to our families, lest they get the idea that we actually enjoy spending time with our blogger friends more than we enjoy folding laundry and cleaning out the garbage disposal. No, honey, I had a good time but I wish I'd been home here helping you get the kids to bed and watching SNL.

*wink, wink*







I am ashamed that I don't know these people's names or blogs. It was a REALLY big group of people. Still, not an excuse.



?, Jill from JillJillBoBill, Elaine from Miss-Elaine-eous Life, ?





And, since some folks asked, here's some pictures of what I wore. And, because I have to flaunt my bargains - I'm shameless like that - I am also going to tell you what I paid for these items.
Here's the dress I decided to wear. I really like it. Fun, but not risque. On clearance from Walmart - $9.




This necklace and earrings set came from Wal-Mart too. $10 for both.


Shoes from DSW - CL by Chinese Laundry. $30 on clearance.



Purse (Gucci - it's a fake, I'm sure.) Got it from a local secondhand store that benefits a pregnancy shelter. $15.

So, the total outfit cost me $64. And, dinner, with tip, was exactly $36. So, $100 for a new outfit and dinner out. Not bad, I'd say.

27 comments:

Scary Mommy said...

Oh, so fun!!! I was thinking about you guys last night! So, now that you survived, are you considering Blogher?

Mrs. S said...

Glad you had a good time!!! your comment about the navigator made me laugh!

McMommy said...

I've been waiting for this post!!!!!! But you are killing me with the NO LABELING OF NAMES!!! Get thee to www.picnik.com right now and label those bloggers for me!!! :)

Janie at Sounding Forth said...

No JillJillBoBill?

I was supposed to gooooo...but...ran out of steam.

I did.

Dang it.

Dorsey said...

It was fabulous to meet you last night! This morning however, my somewhat scratchy voice from last night, is now pretty much GONE! I've been whispering all morning and the hubby keeps turning all my whisperings into innuendos he's SURE I'm saying...UGH!!!

canearl said...

I'm so impressed that you already have a post up! I'm still trying to wake up (11:00 is way past my bedtime!). It was really nice meeting you last night.

Jen said...

I so agree with McMommy, tell us who the people are I want to know!
I am so totally jealous that you got to meet bloggers. Yeah!!!!! I am glad that you had a good time too. I so need to move to Texas. And tell me the truth, did you talk about me, come on I know you did. ;)

stephanie (bad mom) said...

Dude! Where is YOUR picture?? I want to see the dress, after the hours of deliberation & butterflies!

Sorry to be so demanding. I'm so pleased it was a delight for you :D And right on giving your man the extra instructions; brilliant.

texasholly said...

It was SO FUN to meet you last night. You got more pictures than I did! I am going to have to rely on everyone else to get group shots.

So glad to talk to you. So glad that you came.

See ya soon (now that we all know each other in real life we can say that)!

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Wow--you are quick!
It was great to meet you last night too. That was a fab night!
You got some great shots too--everyone including YOU looked so snazzy :)

McMommy said...

Ok, love them names.
But now I have another issue....

WHERE ARE YOU???

Obviously, I need to fly to Texas next time so I can join in on the fun!! Can we meet at Papacitos? Yummmm....

McMommy said...

Texan Mama...YOU ARE A BLONDE??????!!!!!

OMG!!

I TOTALLY pictured you as a brunette!! So funny!!!
Loved your whole outfit!

And damn you for having more fun than me. (heh heh...I'm a brunette, get it?)

Ok, I'm pretty sure this officially wins as the most times I have ever commented on one post. Sorry for the annoying stalker commenting.

Laurie said...

It WAS a big group, and I was a little sad that I didn't get to meet everyone. I did see you though, and you looked very cute in your dress!

I can help fill in the names from my table in the third picture. They are:
Colleen from http://anythingbutnice.blogspot.com/
Laurie (me!) from http://laviedelaurie.com
Jean from http://www.workingmomma247.blogspot.com/
and Bianca from http://becomingbianca.com/
Jes from http://chirky.com was also sitting with us and is pictured on the right next to Elaine.

Sounds like you had a great time. I hope we do more things like this and we get to chat!

nicole said...

Hi! It was nice to meet you too. But, you have me misidentified. I'm Nicole, not Jenny. No worries though.

Fun post to read. I'll be writing mine tomorrow, sans pictures since I didn't take any. What kind of blogger am I?

J said...

Hello! It was fun to meet you at the dinner - I'm Jenny ;-) conscientiousconfusion.blogspot.com. I want to say that I LOVE your necklace and I specifically remember thinking how cute it was too - good job!! Also, would love to know where that store is that benefits the pregnancy resource center! I am looking for a bag and want it to be - of course - beneficial and conscientious! Have a great week!

stephanie (bad mom) said...

Thank you for letting me give you more work to do in loading the other pics :D

LOVE the outfit! Seriously, except for the Store-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named part [though you did indeed get great stuff there], we could be best bargain buds if you lived nearby.

Halftime Lessons said...

Well, Tex, I loved ALMOST getting to spend time with you...next time, ok?

Wasn't it fun? SUCH a great time...

Jay @ HalftimeLessons

Halftime Lessons said...

PS-
You looked beautiful.
;-)

Christina said...

It was awesome to meet you last night! You looked terrific - love that jewelry set, and clearance is just my speed!

Elaine A. said...

I didn't even get a look at those cute shoes, so glad you posted them! : ) You looked great!

Thanks for coming last night and so glad you had a good time. Hopefully next time we can talk some more...

jill jill bo bill said...

So glad we got to visit some and hope to chat more next time!! You are a doll!

E said...

So did you like the people you expected to like? Or were folks different than you expected from their blog?
And I love the dress. I NEVER get bargains like that

E said...

ellenstimson@gmail.com

Judith shakes designs. Her name is actuully Courtney and I love her. She has done all kinds of computerish work for me.
Some pics I have taken some are google.
Love to chat....E

OHmommy said...

What a FUN group of bloggy friends. Meeting bloggers in real life is so much fun.

I totally did not picture you as a blond. You are so cute! I love the shoes.... a perfect outfit for a perfect night.

Shauna said...

Had a BLAST meeting you! What a fun time!

Eudea-Mamia said...

I snuck out before you got a shot - sorry!!

So wonderful to meet you. I'm totally laughing with McMommy since I said the same thing - you must write like a brunette ;-)

And I felt the same way. I must have swapped out my earrings and shoes at least three times. Em

Natalie said...

okay, i am going to have to go to walmart and find that dress! what a great deal and it was really cute!!! also, i shop at that resale store all of the time...i love it! great purse!!!

thanks for riding with me. i had a great time!