Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stuff I Don't Get (SIDG) - Cycle 9

Again, more Stuff I Don't Get. To see other installments, click here or here or here or here or here or here or here or here

damn, apparently there is a LOT of stuff I don't get. Should really consider buying World Book Encyclopedia Online Edition...

For today, ponder this:

Why, at the drive-up ATM, are there raised braille dots on the buttons? I mean, if you can't see the ATM buttons that are like 18 inches from your nose, do you really have any business driving an automobile on the open roads? I'm not talking about the walk-up ATM's, I'm talking about the drive-up ATM's. Even if they're driving a bicycle. Hell, even if they're driving a Hover-round with an orange flag shooting up 6 feet into the sky, should they really be navigating ANYTHING???

And, yes, I know a person can be considered "legally blind" without actually being totally blind. Doesn't make me feel better. If they need the braille buttons to get money out of the bank, how are they gonna get my FENDER out of their FOREHEAD when they crash into me because they couldn't see my brake lights?

13 comments:

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Never even thought of that one ;)

sassy stephanie said...

You are too funny.

Schmutzie said...

You are being featured on Intrepid Tuesday!
http://www.fivestarfriday.com/2009/03/intrepid-tuesday-edition-20.html

Jen said...

i agree, never have gotten this one either.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the laugh. I needed it. LOL Forehead out of my fender. I'll be thinking about that the rest of the day.

Natalie said...

oh, my husband and i have laughed and laughed about that!!! we joked about how you would sell someone car insurance that couldn't see to sign the paperwork!

Wendy said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha so funny...

My same-age boy cousin (who is one of three people on the planet who share my sense of humor) convinced his younger brother for years that those rumble strips on the highway were "driving braille" for blind people. LOL

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I thought I was the only one who thought that was strange :)

Ryan@Cool Dad Central said...

Ha. Good one. I can answer this one for you though... Mass production... They build 'em all the same way, and they don't care if the keypad is bound for the side of the bank or the side of the road.

Chris said...

LOL @ Fender in your forehead.

I suppose that having worked at a bank, I get to be the one to explain this? I mean... I know 99% of you have figured it out on your own, but for that 1%.. let me enlighten you.

Many cars have backseats with windows. Blind people can ride in backseats and be pulled up to the ATM where they do their transaction. And... many of the drive up ATM's are not a 1 directional drive thru. So you can easily pull the passenger side up to the ATM.

Then there are the ones that make you laugh hysterically because they will lean over the driver and try to reach the machine.

The funniest thing though, is to turn on the speaker so you can hear them or sometimes you can just read their lips over the camera. They have a tendency to say "Are you looking? Don't look. I don't want you to know my pin. Are you looking? You're looking aren't you? Stop looking!!"

Chris said...

And yes, Ryan's right. I forgot to say that in my looooong drawn out... who cares.... comment =D

WhisperingWriter said...

How funny.

Don't feel bad, there are a lot of things I don't get either.

Like why do celebrities wear those huge sunglasses that make them look like a bug?

C and C Mommy said...

This drives my husband completely crazy!!