Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Today

Today I become part of the millions of people around the world who have lost a loved one to cancer.

Today Brian, the husband of my very dear friend Angie, lost his battle with brain cancer. He loved and was loved by so many people. He was an amazing husband, father, son, brother, uncle, and friend.

Today the world is a little less bright because Brian is no longer with us.

Today our Lord Jesus Christ welcomes Brian home to Him with a loving embrace.

While I rejoice that Brian is with his Heavenly Father, and no longer suffering the pain of his body's decline, I also feel an obvious sadness. I will miss Brian. This is a guy who I never heard say a cross word to his wife, never raise his voice to his children, never treat anyone with anyone but love and respect. Every time I entered their home, Brian never treated me like a guest; he treated me like family.

So, while I was certainly blessed to know him, I am devastated to face the loss that Angie must bear. I have this weird sense of wanting to protect her, like a mama bear and her bear cub. I want to do something to make her pain bearable. I want to say something really profound that will stay with her and lift her up when she's alone.

But really? There's nothing I can do. Nothing anyone can do. And that is a really helpless feeling.

So, I will continue to do the only thing she's ever asked me to do. I will pray. And, as always, I will KEEP BELIEVING.

14 comments:

April said...

I had just read her post before I came here. I am so sorry. As always, I will keep her family in my prayers.

Scary Mommy said...

Oh, no. This is the first I've heard of this. So very sad. I'll be thinking of their family...

Janie at Sounding Forth said...

Oh, Lord. I didn't know. I'll pray for them all.

Mandy said...

So very sorry. I will be keeping all of you in my prayers.

Chris said...

Oh no. I am SO sorry to hear about this. IMO, the best thing you can do is just try to be there for Angie. And, here's a post that may benefit you.

You are all in my thoughts.

Jennifer said...

I saw a second post and and I thought, "yay, two posts in one day from Texan Mama. Awesome."

Not so awesome. I'm so, so sorry. Cancer is a bitch. I lost my father to cancer..... seven years ago. That is still so hard to write. It was the most horrible thing ever.

I'm so sorry for you and your friend and the rest of his family. This is just one of those things that I don't understand about life.

Anna See said...

I am so very, very sorry. Thank you for introducing me to Angie through your blog. It has been my honor to pray for them, and I'll keep praying.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

I read her post this morning--heart breaking. I had no idea you knew them. My prayers also go with you this very sad day :(

sassy stephanie said...

I hate hearing these stories. Hold her, hug her and let her cry. No words are needed.

Knowing that you are praying for her and the fam will be a comfort.

Debbi said...

I'm sorry, Mamma.

stephanie (bad mom) said...

A moving & lovely tribute.

Your remark about wanting to protect Angie hits home - when Stu's mom died, I felt the same way. I would gladly have taken on that pain; I think that speaks to our love and it's a good thing.

blessings*

Bridgett said...

That's a good tangible tribute there. Treated you like family, not a guest.

The Jones' said...

Just be there for her, as stated already... no words are needed!

We will be praying for her and her family!

So sorry for your loss!

Sturgmom said...

I'm so sorry. We lost a friend slightly over 2 years ago to melanoma. He left behind a wife and baby. It's so tragic, yet we cling to the hope we have in the Lord.