Monday, April 13, 2009

My Legacy

Things I want to teach my children

Sadness in life is awful, but facing sadness makes the joy in life that much sweeter.
Never underestimate the power of being kind
Family ties will never unravel - they may have kinks or knots but the tie is still there
Self-respect lasts a lot longer than a great haircut, trim waistline, or perfect complexion


Things I want my children to remember about me

My mom always smiled
I never doubted my mom's love for me
My mom was smart
My mom knew me really well
I knew my mom would do just about anything for me if I needed her to
My mom helped me meet some amazing grown-ups who taught me some pretty awesome stuff
My mom could laugh at herself


Things I want to model for my children

A marriage isn't necessarily easy but it is worth it
Serving other people will empty you of your free time, but fill your heart
A tube of toothpaste is a lot cheaper than a filling
Being right is not as important as asking for forgiveness when you're wrong


This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but it's what I've got today. I'm sure as I get more "experienced" as a mother, I'll add to this list or change some things. But it will be neat to look back 10 years from now and think about this list.

10 comments:

Kristen said...

Thanks! I think my boys are pretty cute! I'm in DFW as well...where are you at?

Jennifer said...

I think those are all really great things. And the good news is that I bet you have already taught them most of them. The toothpase one you may still have to work on. LOL

Debbi said...

I like this! Great post.

Misadventurous Mommy said...

I think those things are amazing things to want to teach your children!

Jen said...

I think that this is great. I want all those things too. I should make a list so that I make sure my kids will know.

Baby Favorite said...

I love your lists. I'm pretty sure mine would be nearly identical.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Great thoughts!
I have lists like these too!

Wendy said...

"Being right is not as important as asking forgiveness when you're wrong."

Can I write this on a sandwich board and stand on corners with it? Because I think it is super important.

Nessa said...

Fantastic post! I found you via Christine at The Power of Housewife Word of Mouth. I love finding new Texas bloggers. I will definitely be back.

anymommy said...

Beautiful. I loved reading that today.