Thursday, April 16, 2009

One Spunky Mama

Hi. Happy Thursday.

I don't even know how to begin this post. I keep giggling every time I look at the title. You'll know why in about 4 sentences.

I am participating in Mamakat's writing prompts today. I chose to write about a local news story. This story comes from Bedford, a community in the DFW area. Here is the intro sentence for the story on UPI:
A Texas woman has successfully sued to preserve the body of her son for sperm extraction so she might have a grandchild, officials said.

I don't want to minimize the pain that mother must be feeling over losing her son. As parents, we never expect to outlive our children. At the very least, we want to see them graduate high school and college (hopefully), get married, and have children.

But on some level, I really feel that having children should be MY decision, not my mom's.

This woman's young son was not married, so any plans he had about having children were theoretical and hopeful, at best. Now, this woman (Marissa Evans) has received permission to have her son's sperm extracted from his body. A urologist in Austin has volunteered to do the procedure. But I gotta ask, who is going to bear this child? With a grandma off her meds like that, can you imagine the kind of demands she will have for the unfortunate surrogate? And that poor child, I can only imagine the kind of questions that will be raised once the child grows to be old enough to understand where he/she came from.

Okay, if you want to see the full story, just go here. The woman presented her case to the folks at the Today show on NBC last week. I missed that one, but I bet the conversation was one for the books.

Maybe Gramma can call Octo-mom. I bet she could use the money.

19 comments:

Nicole O'Dell said...

That story is twisted, at best. It's wrong on so many counts...

Christy said...

Funny, funny. It takes all kinds, as my mama says...
Cute blog, by the way.

Noah's Mommy said...

oh god...you are so right about her and octomom connection...that would be hysterical...and sad....

Scobberlotcher said...

I agree. This story is so fraught with issues it's hard to believe it. This is one case where science and ethics don't meet up. There was a line in Jurrassic Park years ago where one scientist said "Just because we CAN do it, doesn't mean we SHOULD do it." That's how I see this story.

First time to your fab blog! I'll have to check out your writing. Nice to find another Texan Blog!

Jenners said...

Visiting from Mama Kats...

Oh dear. This is messed up. I think she is having a very hard time letting her son go. I think she needs some grief counseling at the minimum. I can't imagine who might bear this child for her and let her have time with it... Very messed up.

April said...

That is so wrong on so many levels.

Cookie Crums said...

Crazy and wrong all at the same time! Makes you wonder what some people's though process is at times.

Cupcake Dessert said...

that is so odd.. bless her little heart.. i hope she snaps out of it...

blueviolet@A Nut in a Nutshell said...

A judge didn't find that at all twisted?

Jennifer said...

I saw this on the news. I'm sincerely hoping that this is just grief and after a while she will get over this idea.

Jen said...

I know this is sad but this makes me laugh.

pam said...

Interesting!!! I too hope she will get a grip once she gets a chance to think it through.

E said...

The medical ethicists better get involved here. This is appalling.. Just imagine if Grandma decided to be mommy too
Oh My God

H.K. said...

Kids who adopted often want to know what happened to their birthparents. Kids whose parents died want to know all about the parents they never knew. And then you have this poor kid grow up and find out that his existence happened only because his grandmother wanted a grandchild.

The $400 should go to that child's therapy appts!

(found you via Mama Kat)

Musings of the Mrs. said...

I have heard about this story. At first, I thought, whatever floats her boat! But thinking about it further, I'm not sure its ok, as that kid is probably really gonna suffer. Not as much as Octamom's kids, but still...

Dawn said...

A judge agreed to this...? Really...??? This seems wrong on so many levels to me. While I don't even want to imagine the heartbreak of losing a child, this seems to be taking it too far. And yeah...um...who is going to have the baby for her? Eek!

Wendy said...

What over-controlling mom doesn't dream about getting to pick her grandkids' mother? My mother-in-law sure wished she could, and even told me so. Now this lady can!

It's just all wrong.

Bridgett said...

Oh.

I have two responses. The first is sympathy and the recognition that I don't know what I'd do in her place etc etc but that this is probably the wrong way to go about things.

The other is a bit more flippant. Here in St Louis, our humane society has billboards that advertise adopting pets from their organizations. They say "You need a cat" or "You need a dog."

Yikes.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

This just ain't right.