Monday, August 31, 2009

Random Thoughts

Here's a few random thoughts that I felt like sharing (If you follow me on Twitter you may have already seen a few):
***********************
The other day at Walgreens, the checker asked me when my baby was due. That really made me feel like my pregnancy was finally "for real". Like, this one's going to take. It's also made me a little bit melancholy because I REALLY feel like I'm done after this, and I know this will likely be the last time I'm pregnant. I've realized how much I truly love being pregnant. I love people looking at me with a smile, I love feeling the baby kick me, I love looking at my belly when I lie down and see it wiggle and jiggle without any coaxing from me. Someone else is LIVING inside of me, someone with hands and feet and a personality all their own.
***********************
Linus is still crying every day before school. Today begins the second week, and he's still sad every time we mention anything about school. His teacher has been really great about helping him get acclimated, but he hasn't made any friends yet. I think he isn't trying too hard, but it's just because he's so focused on being sad. I can totally see myself in that situation. I was that way one year at camp. I was so focused on being homesick that I would not allow myself to enjoy horseback riding or swimming or bonfires or anything. He's getting better and the school counselor has also been fantastic. His big brother has come to visit him in his class, and his teacher has given him a partner-friend every day, but these things are only marginally helpful. I think we're just going to have to ride this one out.
***********************
I've finished seasons 1-4 of Lost. I am so into that show! My husband and I love to watch it together, which is nice to have some type of activity that we both enjoy, since I can't get him on board with scrapbooking and I will probably never have an interest in hunting. So, I think season 5 of Lost isn't available on DVD yet so I am going to have to watch it online at abc.com.
***********************
I now officially have 2 sets of maternity clothes: "early maternity" and "late maternity". My "Early maternity" clothes are now too tight to be comfortable, so I've moved them to the back of my closet and I'm now wearing the "late maternity clothes" that are still a little too big but, at the same time, they don't make me break into a sweat when I have to walk more than 10 steps at a time. Every time I get pregnant I'm always shocked at how big I get even though I don't gain an enormous amount of weight (40 lbs each time).
***********************
Lately I have been really into making stamped cards for our church Craft fair in November. I love letting out the creative side of myself.
Although, I have to admit, if I ever were to send a card to someone I probably would not take the time to make a card. I would only use one if I had one ready to go. How lazy is that??
************************
Finally, carrots: what's the deal? Keep them wet or dry? When I buy a bag of baby carrots in the store, they are usually a little bit wet. Now this is good because it keeps them fresh. But if they stay wet, they get a slimy funk all over them that is just nasty. But if they dry out, they get whitish and brittle and they crack. So what the frack am I supposed to do with baby carrots? Am I just a moron who can't figure out simple produce?

That's it. Maybe I'll have something fresher later this week.

11 comments:

McVal said...

Great cards! But I'm with you. If I don't have it in my stash and don't feel like going to the store, I'm going to make my 9 year old make one...

Jennifer said...

I don't know anything about carrots. I hate carrots.

J said...

I have the same questions about carrots. Lately I have been keeping them dampish.

Jen said...

You know, I have always wondered that about that carrot thing too. I like you don't get it.

Gigi said...

I'm sorry Linus is sooo sad. But eventually, he'll conform and, hopefully, begin to like school.

Don't ask me about carrots - I don't know.

Anna See said...

Loved all of these updates. I will pray for Linus. The carrot question? I don't know. They usually rot in our fridge.

ItsKelly said...

I love Lost! Can't wait for the new season to start.

Janie at Sounding Forth said...

I love that card!

Wendy said...

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH CARROTS.

For Linus, have you thought about setting up a play date after school with another boy that he finds less detestable than the others?

We've done this over & over with Dolly to help her get acclimated at new schools, and it works so well. When kids get to know each other outside of school, they are friends at school, too. We did this once when she was friends with a little girl who wasn't a good friend for her to have (they tended to get into trouble together, though I don't know who started it, and the other girl was teaching her how to smart off to her mom). We did play dates with a couple of other kids that would be a better influence on her, and she gravitated towards those kids at school, and stopped getting into trouble every day.

I feel like such a manipulator now.

It does work, though.

Vicki said...

I love your blog! I don't know about carrots. I want to cut up lots of fruit, but none of it stays as fresh as I want it to. Once someone told me you could freeze your carrots and celery to keep them for when you make stews. Not true unless you dehydrate them first. I had an oopy gooey mess when they thawed. Yuck
I MISS being preggo. I loved it.

Sturgmom said...

I love that card. I went to a couple of stamp events last year and made some very cute cards, but I just don't have the cash to invest in a large stock of my own supplies.

Let me know what you find out about the carrots.