Saturday, August 1, 2009

Thanks Green Thumbies!

It has been a couple of months since I wrote this post about the stuff growing in my back yard. I'm happy to report that things are going better.

All those tall leafy things growing? Well, they were Irises, I think. They were really taking over my ground-cover area. I have been told that they propagate like crazy, and I guess they've been just doing their own thing for a few years now. I got kinda sick 'n tired of waiting for them to flower (which never happened) so one hot July day I just started digging them up. And, man, the bulbs were just lying on top of each other. No wonder they weren't doing too well. I immediately pictured 20 people trying to live inside a walk-in closet. So, I dug up most of the plants. At first I just yanked them up and threw them away, but after a while I used a little more care and dug up the bulbs along with the leaves. I replanted about a dozen in another location.

The rest of the plants I put on Freecycle. I was shocked that I got about 5 responses within an hour of posting the notice. And, of the plants that got pulled up by the leaves only, well the bulbs left behind underground have already sprouted new leaves again! So now I need to decide if I want to go ahead and pull up those plants too (I think I do) or just leave them to grow.

Also, I decided to cut the creeping vines off my trees. I thought it made them look messy and it was not helping with the overgrowth. So I cut them down.

And finally, I think the weeds that were growing in my ground-cover area are under control, for now. Occasionally I will see a new one pop up, but I just pull it.

I'm learning a lot about what I want and don't want in my next house. Which, at the rate we move, should be sometime next year. Great.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awesome. Maybe next spring they will flower.

stephanie (bad mom) said...

Nice work! I'm in awe of people who do stuff in gardens; basically I'm in awe of myself once every year or so.

I hope you can see the flowers come up next year. Or, your next house is in Washington. :D

Emily said...

I love irises...they are so beautiful. I was always under the impression that Iris bulbs should be planted very shallow. Hopefully they'll flower next year.

Natalie said...

my irises didn't flower this year either. i think it was our weird weather... anyway, they will do much better when they have room!