Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mama Needs some New Nipples

Heh. I bet that title is gonna return some interesting hits.

So, I'm on baby number 5. By the time you get to anything for the 5th time, you're pretty much a self-proclaimed expert. Now, I'd never call myself an expert at parenting. Experienced? Certainly. But not an expert.

However...

A lot of my baby stuff is completely worn out. Or gone. Or out-of-date. My first baby was born 10 years ago. All the sleepers have been through 4 kids' poop and spit-up. The knees of outfits have seen 4 kids learn to crawl. The baby bottles have nourished 4 babies' bellies.

So now, I am needing a few things. But who has a baby shower for someone expecting their 5th child? I mean, that's just absurd, right? And, while I certainly don't need a Diaper Genie or silver picture frame or another hand-made baby blanket, I could sure use some new pacifiers or baby socks or Playtex Drop-Ins Liners.

I was thinking about registering for a dozen or so items at Target, just in case anyone asks me if I need anything for the baby. Do you think this is really presumptuous? Or rude? Or selfish? I mean, the things I need aren't expensive and certainly I can just buy them myself. But I thought if anyone wanted to know if I needed anything, then they'd be able to just pick something out from a registry.

What do you think?

8 comments:

Buggys said...

I say go for it. The only people who will know that you have done it (ok besides all of us) are the people who ask what you need because they want to know what to get you. Win...win! Sometimes people have baby showers for later children, especially if the current one is far behind the crowd. Knowing that your things are older or just gone and you are kind of starting over.

Jennifer said...

I think you should register. I did for my second baby. AND I had my mom throw me a baby shower. I know, I know, but I did. I think each birth should be celebrated. Plus we had moved and this was a whole new group of friends and it was a boy instead of a girl. See. I had lot of good reasons. AND we did it more like a girl's night out instead of a baby shower. It was a blast. All my friends are still talking about it.

McVal said...

Go ahead and register. Then have a close friend or relative throw the party for you telling people where you're registered.
My sister has 13 kids and really could've used a baby shower a few times in there...
Heck, I want to renew our wedding vows just for new towels!

Foursons said...

I'd register. If someone asks you what you need, they are obviously a close friend or family. It will help them out in the long run.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

I'd just tell some people. Everyone is always bringing gifts with meals when the baby is born. Just casually mention it, a few times ;)

Janie at Sounding Forth said...

Knock yourself out! I think a shower for your 5th would ROCK! And, ummmm, screw tradition!

stephanie (bad mom) said...

Yes. Some people like to give gifts, and we like to know we're giving something useful & needed. Some people need to know where we might send stuff, too.

;D

Missy said...

I say go ahead and do it. That way, if someone does ask, then you have an answer for them.

It would only be tacky if you registered and then threw yourself a baby shower. ;)


Stopping in from SITS.