Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Share Your Opinions - Video Camera or Not?

The setting: Mother's Day, 1999. St. Louis. Cramped Apartment. One slightly pregnant woman and one very calm daddy.

My husband left the house for 4 hours. I was crazy with being scared, then angry, then steaming mad! Where in the hell was he? He said he'd be back in about an hour!!!

Texan Papa was out buying me a video camera to capture all the moments of our little Peanut's birth and no-doubt momentous life.

The video camera we got was a Hi-8 VHS camcorder. It's the kind that has a teeny tape inside it, then you transfer the video to a VHS tape using cables and a VCR. The camcorder has been our main mode of recording family events for about the first 8 years of our family life. Then, once I got a digital camera, I started recording shorter movies on the video setting of the camera. Now that I've got a rockin' camera, as well as a much larger SD card, I can record up to an hour of video on my still camera.

So, it's kinda a no-brainer that I should get rid of my old camcorder. It makes a loud humming noise when I record video. It only transfers to VHS (which might as well be an 8-track tape at this point, right?) But, since I started recording movies to the digital camera(s), I have never transferred them to a DVD. They just sit on my hard drive. I know I should learn how to get them onto DVD, but it just seems so painful to try to figure out how to do it. Do I need a DVD-R or a DVD+R? And what is the difference? And why is there a difference?

I know, I could always go get one of these.
They're pretty affordable and they'd have instructions with them and everything! And, best of all, it's PINK!! But, if my still camera already does video recording, wouldn't I just be wasting a few hundred bucks buying a digital camcorder specifically for movies?

What do you think? Do you have any experience in this area? Please let me know. I know I can't trust those charlatans at Best Buy.

8 comments:

R. Wallis @ TrueBeauty said...

Just stopping by from SITS to say hi! Great blog! I use my camera to record as well, so I'm probably not much help :)
Happy Tuesday! Come by and check out my "5 DAYS OF GIVE-A-WAYS" AT http://truebeautyinsideandout.blogspot.com

Aleta said...

My Dad bought one of those, but not pink. Lol. Mom is a teacher and when we went to Boston - lots of history - and we had a tour guide. Dad video'd it with that gadget and LOVED it!!!

J said...

To get ready for our new baby we bought a digital camera that takes video in HD - we were originally going to get an iFlip or whatever those are, but then we realized if I could put just one gadget in the diaper bag rather than 2, we'd be more likely to get videos AND pictures! So that is our logic as of now...we will see how it works!

Jennifer said...

I use my camera and we reserve the camcorder for big events like bdays and Christmas. The only thing we've transferred to DVD is our Walt Disney trip. We did it with our DVD player/burner that is attached to our tv.

Emily said...

I don't have a lot of experience so I really don't have any advice to offer, but I do know that if your computer doesn't have a DVD burner/recorder you can't burn DVDs. We have a pretty slick camcorder....but I almost always end up just using the video mode on my still camera.

Gigi said...

Please don't ask me!! I have no clue. We still have that old thing (that you mentioned) and haven't used it in years!! Yes, we are bad parents - we don't videotape anything. Although, now that Man-Child is playing football hubby has a revived interest . . . an idea for a b-day present maybe?

jori-o said...

Let me know what you decide. I'm going to wait for YOUR advice!! =)

Christine said...

I love my Vado! I carry it everywhere in my purse and can video at the drop of a hat. You can instantly erase what you don't like, and then upload it straight to your computer no problem. My only major complaint are the zoom (has it but not great) and the mic doesn't pick up that well from a distance. But for less than a 100 bucks I love the convenience and movie quality.