Thursday, October 15, 2009

Flashback Friday: Pimp My Yams

1581884212_57276dd550_o

It's officially fall. And, you know it must be true if I'm even saying that in Texas. Okay, Okay, we DID have our A/C on just two days ago, but it is officially fall now because the pumpkin patch is open up the street. SO it must be fall, right?

Therefore, it's time to start thinking about Thanksgiving and all that yummy food. Personally, I will NOT be celebrating Thanksgiving this year, unless my mom decides to cook because I will have an extremely newborn baby and won't feel like slaving over a turkey all day. Actually, the slaving over the turkey is no big deal, it's all the other crap that goes along with it: real cranberry sauce (none of that canned junk), mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, rolls, yada yada yada.

So, I thought I'd post a great recipe that I found a few years ago. It's for a sweet potato souffle. It is WAY better than sweet potatoes with nasty marshmallows in it. Trust me when I say, your guests will love this dish. Plus, you can prepare it the night before and refrigerate it, then just pop it in the oven to cook when the timing is right. I'm all about easy.



Pimp My Yams
Originally posted 11/19/08

Yo Yo Yo, all you giblet-lovin fools out there in Bloggy-Land,

ARE YOU READY TO START KICKIN' IT FOR T-DAY?

Okay, Tattooed Minivan Mom is having a Thanksgiving Recipe Exchange so I decided to pipe in.

Now, Here's the 411 on the Texan Household Thanksgiving: We do it small. Usually I just roast a boneless turkey breast. I know, pathetic, right? But it's just me and Texan Papa and the 4 Peanuts. Well, baby Peanut (aka Sally) doesn't eat much, and for that matter neither do the other Peanuts. But they INHALE the mashed potatoes. So, we do the usual carb-laden meal: stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, and the other "healthy" option too: corn or green beans (I gave up long ago doing the GB Casserole - I love it but got many dirty looks from the Peanut gallery - like "why have you mutilated my precious plain green beans into this creamy, soupy, mess? And what are those brown crunchy things on top? For the Love Of ALL THINGS GOOD AND HOLY, just give me my PLAIN GREEN BEANS or I will MELT DOWN RIGHT HERE AT THE TABLE!!!")

We have long since abandoned getting together with family. Some might say, "Aww, that's really sad." Now, next Thursday, when you are at your relatives' house, wishing the meal would just be ready already, and your kids are like 2 hours overdue for a nap, and you're sweating bullets every time your toddler gets near your hostess' priceless crap tchotchkes, you'll be saying to yourself, "Man I wish I was at my own house like Texan Mama is in hers." Yeah, no relatives to entertain. No long road trip to endure. No hurrying up at one house so we can go gorge ourselves at another house 2 hours later. Living far, far away from any relatives really has its advantages.

Anyhoo, back to the recipe exchange. Now, I hate sweet potatoes. I think they look like a big orange turd. I think they smell disgusting and look disgusting. So, guess what I'm going to share with you? YES, A RECIPE FOR SWEET POTATOES. Enjoy. I cannot claim credit for this recipe. It came from the cookbook "Saint Louis Days, Saint Louis Nights" published by the Junior League of St. Louis. I have made this recipe many times to rave reviews (as I have with many recipes from this cookbook - I highly recommend it), although I have never actually tasted it. I've been told that it's a nice new twist for Sweet Potatoes, and it's not overly sweet like the traditional dishes which have marshmallows in them.

Sweet Potato Souffle with Pineapple and Coconut

(oh, btw: I use crushed Pecans in place of the coconut. Even though I hate sweet potatoes, I hate coconut even more.)

8 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 well-beaten eggs
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup drained, crushed pineapple
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut (remember, I sub pecans for this, but it's your call)

  • Wash sweet potatoes and place in a jellyroll pan. Cover with foil.

  • Bake at 400 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes until fork completely penetrates potato.

  • Cool, peel, and put potatoes in a large mixing bowl. (VERY large - there's going to be a lot!)

  • Mash potatoes until smooth. Stir in margarine and sugars.

  • Add the eggs, and baking powder, pineapple, and salt. Mix well.

  • Transfer ingredients into a well-greased 2-quart casserole dish.

  • Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

  • Remove from the oven and cover the souffle with coconut pecans. (I put them in a nice little border around the outside of the pan, then add a few whole pecans at the center.)

  • Bake an additional 10 minutes (or until light brown).

Other notes: 8 "medium" sweet potatoes - really, all sweet potatoes are pretty big. My suggestion is to first cook the potatoes and mash them, then look at how much will fit into a 2-quart casserole. If you have too much, don't use the extra potatoes b/c it will make too much and also the proportions of the other ingredients won't be right. ALSO, I have successfully made this dish with butternut squash puree - but that's an extra step where you have to add brown sugar to it too. If you're really interested in this just email me and I can give you the extra ingredients.

Okay, go. Cook. Sweat. Gorge. Bloat. And, Enjoy.

3 comments:

Gigi said...

Really?? I'm not EVEN ready to think about Thanksgiving. I not even ready to think about Halloween. I'm still in 4th of July mode!!

Glad to see that someone other than me is up at this insane hour!!!

Foursons said...

Bahahahahaha! Yes, I understand Fall in TX all too well. And our Pumpkin Patch is open too!

texasholly said...

I am always frightened of the sweet potato-marshmallow mess that most create on Thanksgiving...this sounds better.

And NOW it is fall. Now that the rain has stopped. At least I hope so. I hope I didn't just jinx it.