Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Little Bit of a Freak

I am so not a neat freak. If anything, my "neat" friend Joni often tells me how she likes how "laid back" I am about cleaning.

Yeah, I guess you could call it that.

Sometimes the clutter and the mess stresses me out, often times more than it should. And I don't want to live in a pigsty (trust me, I don't) but at the same time I don't want to live in a house that requires so much time cleaning that I have to eat my lunch standing at the sink.

Usually I can get some calm in my life by having ONE room clean. If it's a bathroom, or the kitchen, or whatever, I love to go into that room and sigh, looking around and knowing, "I don't have a single thing to pick up or put away in here!" It's so nice. It doesn't happen often but it's amazing how just one clean area can really take my stress level down a notch.

However, I do have one area that I am a bit of a freak about keeping tidy and orderly. That's the refrigerator door.
My kids help me put things away after dinner and I get a little bit twitchy if the jars, bottles, and tubs don't go exactly where they are in the picture above. I don't even like the ketchup to face forward - it has to face sideways. And don't even get me started on the issue I have if my husband starts buying too many "fancy mustards". We have exactly enough space for the items on the door and I know where every. single. one. is. located. I guess I just hate looking through the fridge and wondering "Where in the hell is the Ranch dressing?"

A place for everything and everything in its place. I hope my place is not a sanitarium.

12 comments:

corrinesan said...

My grandmother-in-law once told me that she wished someone had told her she could ignore the house & just focus on her babies... ahem...

Wendy said...

Hee hee hee! The fridge is a big problem for me. I have exacting ideas about where *everything* should go. Cheese in the bottom drawer! Leftovers on THIS shelf! Eggs go HERE!

On the door, it's sorted by height - but door things only go in the door and never on the shelves.

I think this stems from growing up in a house where you risked an avalanche every time you opened the fridge. And you might see the milk and think "it's going to be a lot of work to get that out" and just change your mind about wanting it at all.

Foursons said...

I am the exact same way about having one clean room. I will just spend time in there feeling relieved and happy. hahahahahaha.

I only wish I could keep my fridge organized though. The other 5 members of my family just don't get it.

Emily said...

I'm totally anal about my fridge too...as well as the rest of the house. I fall under that neat-freak category!

Buggys said...

i wouldn't say I'm a freak about the fridge (in fact I think I'll clean it today) but we could probably take a sharpie and draw outlines on the door shelves! Always the same jars in the same spot, turned the correct direction. Hmmmm, what's that about?

Jen said...

I think that we all have those little things that we like a certain way or are a little OCD about. For me its the light switches. I like them to be a certain way and if not, I obsess about it until its fixed.

Jennifer said...

I want one of those french door refrigerators. Those are so awesome. And soooo expensive. I have a side by side and I'm still working to find just the right way to put everything in so that I can find it when I want. I kinda hate it even though I'm the one that picked it out.

When a room is clean don't you just want to go sit in it and soak up the clean-ness regardless of which room it is is. Pantry, just sit on the floor and (deep breath in).... ahhhh, clean... I love that.

Aleta said...

Greg will tell you that I'm a neat freak. It's true, but there places in the house it's not totally organized and clean (and yes, it drives me a little twitchy). BUT... I TOTALLY relate to the refrig door! Greg will toss anything anywhere in the refrig - just picture the ketchup and mustard and eggs on the regular trays rather than on the inside door!

sassy stephanie said...

Ha ha. I'm so the same way. Plus, the dishwasher has it's own special "place" for everything before it gets started, plus the "junk drawer", plus the bathroom closet, plus the back of my car. Ok, maybe I'm a little more extreme than you are.

Momlissa said...

I can so relate - I'm far from a neat freak, but am OB/COM about some stuff. Just today, I think my eye started to visibly twitch as I watched the grocery store bagger put frozen items in with my bagels. It took all my self control to just take over. I usually bag myself as I know I'll just have to rebag when I get to the car.

3StinkyBoysAndMe said...

I am SO a neat freak, but never about the fridge. That is so funny!

Two Normal Moms said...

I love it. Now if I could just get my family on board. I hate having to search the depths of the fridge shelves for something that SHOULD be on the door!
***Ally
(visiting from SITS)