Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My "First" Family

Halloween 2005 - Linus (3) as a bee, Charlie Brown (4) as a rock-climber, and Peppermint Patty (6) as an angel

I took this picture in the fall of 2005. Peppermint Patty was 6, Charlie Brown was 4, and Linus was 3. I love looking at pictures of my kids at that age... they were all learning to be independent, and they were able to communicate with me about their needs and their feelings, but they were still babies.

Heck, for that matter, when do they ever STOP being our babies?

But anyway, this was 2 years before Sally was born. I remember, right after Sally was born, feeling almost melancholy about the days when I had "my 3 kids". I got very used to this little pack of children and when Sally arrived on the scene, everything got turned upside-down. No longer could we all sit together and enjoy a family movie night, without me turning my attention to the baby. No longer could we make spontaneous plans, without bringing a diaper bag and a bottle and a stroller and making sure it wouldn't be nap time. As much as I loved and cherished this little one, I was sad about the change it was causing in my "New" family.

Now, I'm about to do that all again. The adjustment is different, though. I'm used to carrying a diaper bag and working a schedule around nap time. But for the past 2 years, once the older kids head off to school, it's just been the little Peanut and me on errands; the little Peanut and me for playgroup; the little Peanut and me snuggling on the couch. Now, Sally will have to share me with her new baby sister, which will be a shock to her system. And, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure I'm ready to share her either.

I know, I know, it's all good. I am SO excited about the new baby. But change is never easy. It takes time to adjust and it makes us grow. Sometimes that growth is a welcome change and sometimes we are just along for the ride, kicking and screaming. But I know that in no time at all, I won't be able to imagine my family without the new little Peanut.
Halloween 2007 - Peppermint Patty (as a tooth), Linus (as Robin), Charlie Brown (as Batman), Sally (as a chili pepper - 1 month old) and me, with my classic "costume"

For other stories about "Ghosts of Halloween Past" go visit Angie at Seven Clown Circus.

16 comments:

Meagan said...

Wow! 4 and one on the way! How do you do it?

Emily said...

I have always found that new adjustment stage to be a little difficult. Good thing those babies are so cute and make it all worthwhile! ;)

S Club Mama said...

I love your costume. You should dress the soon-to-be-baby as a bball or pumpkin lol

blueviolet said...

Everyone is so cute!!! The baby strawberry is funny!

Jennifer said...

Awwww. I remember wondering what was going to happen to my "baby" when the new one came, and I felt so sad for her. But then a friend told me that I was giving the Baby Girl the best gift I could ever give her and she was so right. It was hard. Sometimes it is still difficult because she is still young enough to not understand. She'll say, "just put him down." Or "leave the baby and let's just go you and me" and it makes my heart hurt a little. But MOST of the time it is true greatness. I get so happy when I can watch them play together or when one makes the other one laugh. Just remember you are giving Baby Sally a little playmate. A year from now they will be best buds. She would have always kind of stood out from the older three, but now she will have her very own sister... and they will be able to team up on the others.

Jen said...

look at you all. so cute!

Cascia said...

Cute costumes! Congratulations on your new baby. I hope you and your beautiful family have a fun and safe Halloween.

Sherry at EX Marks the Spot said...

To answer your question: They NEVER quit being our babies. Mine are 34, 32 and 27. Your pictures bring back such wonderful memories of fun times!

http://blondesherry.blogspot.com/2009/10/ww-scarecrows-on-square.html

Bridgett said...

still going through that as we add #3. Nine months and I still stress.

Life with Kaishon said...

It seems like you are totally rocking your large family : ) The costumes are GREAT! LOVE them to pieces!

anymommy said...

It is an adjustment every time and then once they are here, you can't imagine life without them. Can't wait to see your peanut.

Anna See said...

i'm so excited about your new little peanut!

Elaine A. said...

LOVE the chili pepper!

It is an adjustment. We're still adjusting to the third around here. But of course, wouldn't have it any other way... :D

Happy (early) Halloween!

Twincerely,Olga said...

you have a beautiful family! Stopping in from SITS! I have 5 children too!Stop by

Mommymel said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who shares these worries. When my no. 3 was born I fretted endlessly about how my twins would adjust. I just kept reminding myself that this has been the order of things since time immemorial and everything would work out fine. They love their brother, but I think if they'd get to make the decision, it'd be just them forever. Good thing they don't make the rules!

Wendy said...

That is really interesting, to know this never changes. I felt like this before my 2nd baby was born, but I thought that by baby 5 this would be no big deal any more.

It reminds me of an old Family Circus cartoon where someone asks the mom how she divides her love among so many children... and the answer is that your love doesn't get divided... it gets multiplied.

It is true.