Saturday, October 10, 2009

Nesting

Well, I guess my body is telling me that the end is near. The end of my pregnancy, that is. I am actually due on 11/24, two days before Thanksgiving, but I've already spoken to my doctor about inducing me on the 23rd and he's all for it. As a matter of fact, he wanted me to induce the week before but I don't want to do that. Every day in the oven is one more day my bun is healthier and bigger (and not exposed to the swine flu!)

So, my Saturday was spent rearranging Baby Sally's room. I put the dresser into the closet to make room for a toddler bed for her, which of course she wants no part of. It will be a rude awakening for her (and us, ha ha) when she has to give up her crib for her baby sister. This is actually the longest any of my kids have been in a crib; my older three all were climbing out by age 18 months. But little Baby Sally is content in her crib, bless her heart. I also took a bunch of stuff out of the drawers in the dresser so that the new baby can have a few drawers of her own. And toys got put into boxes and stored under beds. Books found a new home in a small cabinet. And, I swear, if I get one more fru-fru-frilly baby blanket I will poke my eyes out. Usually they are scratchy and delicate and completely decorative. The only ones my kids use are the basic fleece ones. I shouldn't be unappreciative, though. I know the people who give them to us put a lot of work into them. But, I just wonder if they realize that all their hard work is getting folded up and put on a shelf or in a box.

Tonight, after getting the kids to bed, I made a mad dash to Target. I just HAD to get some time by myself. I shopped leisurely in and out of the aisles. (This of course always leads to triple the bill I'm expecting). By the way, did you know that Target also matches competitor advertised prices (just like Wal-Mart does)? And, did you know that Target will give you 5 cents off your bill for every reusable bag that you bring in and is used in your order? It's making me want to become a regular Target shopper instead of Wal-Mart. Although, I am disappointed sometimes with the selection of items at Target. They don't carry as many brands of items as Wal-Mart does, which makes it hard to use coupons sometimes.

Anyway... When I got home I finally pulled down the box of 0-6 month baby clothes out of the attic. This is usually the VERY last step for me when getting ready for a baby. I don't know what it is... if I am afraid I'll jinx myself by getting the clothes ready too early, or if I know I'll just be making the waiting that much harder if I have all those teensy weensy clothes to look at for weeks on end. But, I am glad I got the clothes down now. I saw a pair of shoes that I bought for Baby Sally 2 years ago. I remember searching for shoes because all the ones I found that were size 0 or 1 were TOO BIG. Gah! I can't believe it. She wears a size 7 now. And the size 1 diapers... do you know how TINY they are??? I now have two baskets of diapers on the changing table shelf... one of size 5's and one of size 1's. It's hard to believe that the baby's booty is that itty-bitty. But, I guess, if it were any bigger I'd be in a lot of trouble.

Okay, TMI time... here's your chance to click away... all my labors have been really easy. I'm hoping that this one is easy too, and without incident. Baby #1: Labored about 11 hours, pushed for 20 minutes. Baby #2: Labored for about 10 hours, pushed about 10 minutes. Baby #3: Labored about 8 hours, pushed for 7 minutes. Baby #4... Well, let's put it this way: the doctor came in at 6:00 and saw I was at 10 cm. By 6:30 he had left the room after I'd delivered the baby and the placenta and he'd already sewn me up. With Baby Sally (#4) they were like, "Okay, it's time to push. Now... push. Push. OKAY STOP PUSHING!!!" So, I guess I kinda hope that I don't have a really big sneeze or anything once I'm close to my due date because who knows what could happen.

So, I'm really excited for this baby to come. I think I am more excited for this one than any other, maybe because I'm pretty sure this is going to be the LAST bambino. I say "pretty sure" because nothing permanent has been done and I guess there's always a chance to have more... but I really feel like I'm done. I feel this more than I ever felt with my other kids. I just know that having more kids would make me REALLY crazy and as much as I'm enjoying motherhood now, I don't want to turn my life upside down again with 3 (more) small children really close in age the way my first 3 were.

Well, I think I'd better get of the computer now. Those baby clothes have been soaking in the wash machine for a while, so I think it's time for them to be rinsed out & put in the dryer. Every time I see those tiny little baby socks and onesies and hats, my uterus skips a beat!

8 comments:

Wendy said...

This is so cool, because you're getting to do the typical nesting thing. With my daughter I was in college and rushing to finish the semester before she arrived (close but not quite) - and with my son, I was nesting up a storm until hubby moved me halfway across the country 9 months pregnant. I was all ready to go, totally organized (the whole danged house) - and then - boom. I'm sitting in the midst of utter chaos with 200 cardboard boxes and a disassembled crib.

Regarding the labor... you know, it occurs to that sometime around November 15th, maybe you should just go sit in the L&D waiting room. Just in case. I hope this one is a breeze.

Foursons said...

I love the nesting part of pregnancy. Sounds weird- but it's a fun time!

Emily said...

Wow...I think this post actually gave me a little bit of baby fever! ;) And that's funny about the fru-fru baby blankets...I actually used the heck out of all of ours!

Jennifer said...

Awwww. Sweet baby girl is almost here.

I made all of Baby Girls's blankets out of soft cotten (fleece and flannel is too hot down here).For Bud I ordered some swaddle blankets from Land of Nod (I think). I'm still using them. He loved them and so did I.

Anna See said...

this is so great! i am happy for you and for your sweet little girl on the way.

Elaine A. said...

I can't believe it (well actually, I can...) but I did not know you were pregnant! Here's a belated congratulations! Do you know the gender of this baby? Just curious!

Have fun with the nesting and hope all goes well with what I presume will be a quick birth! : )

Frugal Vicki said...

I am SO excited for you! I LOVED being pregnant and having the babies! My little girl will be 1 on the 23. We were scheduled for a c-section on the 24th, but she couldn't wait (and we Thank God every day because she had a true knot in her cord and wouldn't have made it!)

Amber Page Writes said...

Such a sweet post! Nesting is so much fun...I can't tell you how many times I folded and re-folded all my daughter's itty bitty clothes. Enjoy it!