Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Do You Know Me?

Twitter is a strange animal. At first I thought it would be like Facebook, hooking up with people you know in real life and meeting new people too. But, I mean, who are these people following me on Twitter anyway???

There's a woman who runs a blog and podcast for trendy Latina moms. Does that sound like me? She does all her tweets in Spanish. I'm guessing she's bilingual, but why would she follow me?

An OB/GYN doctor who follows over 41,000 people. YES I typed that right. I know he's a pregnancy doc but, uh, I'm not exactly Michelle Duggar. I'm a run-of-the-mill pregnant mommy. Not a lot of interesting tweets coming from me regarding stretch marks or prenatal vitamins or if I will lose my mucus plug.

Yeah, I just said mucus plug.

A company called Custom Shirts. Uh, I'm not really buying/selling/designing custom shirts right now. Come to think of it, I've never bought/sold/designed custom shirts.

When I get these little notes in my inbox on gmail, telling me that I have a new follower on Twitter, it's fun! And, honestly, if Florida Emerald Coast Rentals wants to follow me on Twitter, and hear about my kids' boogers and what I'm making for dinner, I guess that's okay. I can't imagine WHY they'd care enough to waste space in their Twitter line to read my little blips of insignificant mommy information, but whatever.

Another thing I wonder, is, how in the world did these people find me? It's not like I'm in hiding, but I often wonder how some IT Distribution company came across my Twitter handle.

I dunno. I'm going to keep tweeting weird stuff. Maybe I'll attract even more random people. New friends to meet, right?

***************************************

On an unrelated note, I am getting freaked out: Linus has strep throat. I believe I have it too (going to the OB today). I am 39 weeks pregnant.Texan Papa is also feeling like he's coming down with it. I am worried that it will get passed onto the baby after she's born, and I thought that newborns can't have any antibiotics for the first few months of life. I'm not really sure what to do.

So, prayers for us? Please? Good Karma? Good thoughts? Send 'em our way. We'll take everything we can get. Thanks!

7 comments:

McVal said...

I hope you all get over the strep soon! Yucky stuff!
And I've got a twitter account, but ... I don't know what to do with it. I twitter a lot more than a single line of stuff... I don't think it's my style.

Bridgett said...

weird people try to follow me (donald trump?) but I usually block them unless I know them or they have similar interests (like girl scouts). The spammers go away.

Antibiotics: Sophia was on four antibiotics at birth (e.coli, I advise against). Maeve had her first ear infections at 3 weeks (conjunctivitis-otitis syndrome with an incomplete tear duct). It's not what you want to be doing, but it sometimes happens.

Jennifer said...

I've always heard the baby picks up your immunities so if you've already developed some then she'll be ok.

I think those people follow you on twitter in hopes that you will follow them and in turn get all of their ads that they tweet.

Bear and Bones Mama said...

Yowza! Good luck. I hope someone is coming out to help you after the baby comes (or help the sickos). My husband and 2 yo got strep when my youngest was 5 months old. They told me that kids under 2 don't get strep. I had them do a culture on him anyway, and sure'nuff, he had strep. They did give him antibiotics, but he was a hearty 5 months....

Foursons said...

I have random people follow me on Twitter and I don't ever Tweet. Weird. Good luck with the strep, hopefully all the worry will be for nothing.

anymommy said...

Whew! 39 weeks. Where did that nine months go? I'm so excited to meet this little darling - and all my positive thoughts that everyone will be healthy when your little love arrives.

Sturgmom said...

I usually block those people, esp. if they have 0 followers and are following 14,341 people. I think they find you through key word searches. I tweeted about something on my mac one night and got 5 or so new tech-y "followers/spamers."

I hope you don't have strep, but I bet little Violet will be just fine. Good luck!!