Friday, November 6, 2009

Flashback Friday: Cheating

Hey Y'all.

I am visiting you from my local library because my modem is broken. BLAH!!! But, here's my post for FLASHBACK FRIDAY. I hope y'all participate and visit the other FF-ers.

1581884212_57276dd550_o

So, c'mon. Join the fun. And don't forget to leave your URL with Mr. Linky!





Cheating?

Have you ever said to yourself, as you are preparing the dinner-time meal, "Well you sexy mommy, the kids are supposed to get 5 servings of fruits & veggies every day. Our count for today is.... does ketchup count?... How many carrot sticks are enough to make a serving?.... maybe I'll do better tomorrow."

Well, my very good friend Deb, who is the lunch lady at my kids' former school, let me in on a little trick. If you use 100% juice when making Jell-O, it will count as a serving of fruit. Since she has to follow all those USDA guidelines for school servings and health department rigamarole, I am sure she knows what she's talkin 'bout.


When she told me this I about jumped up and down and did a Herkie. My kids are good eaters, but when it comes to Jell-O they are good shovelers. Plus, I already use the sugar-free jello because my kids need more sugar like I need an extra 20 pounds on my stomach.

So, is that cheating? Giving them fruit disguised as a yummy treat? This mommy says no way. Any trick that gets a kid to the top of that food pyramid is a secret that needs to be shared.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Cheating? or smart? I'm going with smart. Very, very smart.

Anna See said...

very, very smart!

we like V8 Fusion drinks. 1 serving of fruit, 1 serving of veggies in each glass. Acai, Goji berry? yummm.

Meagan said...

No! I'm sure its fine! I never get that many servings of fruits or veggies and I will probably live awhile. Have you tried that stuff from the Jessica Seinfeld cookbook? Don't know if it actually adds a whole serving to the stuff though.

OHmommy said...

I use Libby's Pumpkin mix in white cake mix. No need for oil and water and just add the pumpkin. Cause, you know.... it has extra vitamins, no?