Thursday, November 12, 2009

Loving Average

Recently I wrote a post about being average.

Now I'd like to write a post about loving average. And, by average, what I mean is that I have always been MORE attracted to average guys than the super-hotties. Okay, I'm not going to lie and say that I don't drool over Matthew McConaughey. I call him Matthew McConau-hotty. But if I'm not dream-dating, and I'm actually remembering my past boyfriends, they were all... kinda unremarkable. Usually blond. Usually average-height. Sometimes with glasses. Sometimes overweight. Once I dated a guy considered "a catch" but I just couldn't get myself attracted to him. It was all really weird.

I think the reason I never even tried dating the super-hotties was because I didn't want to date someone more beautiful than me. Not that I consider myself beautiful - actually quite the opposite! I struggle with my self-image daily. But that's for another post. Or never. But, anyway, I mean that I didn't want to date someone who I always feared would compare me to someone who was much more in his league. I felt comfortable dating average-looking guys because I felt like it was a better fit for me.

And, here comes the stereotyping... on the rare occasions that I did go on a date with a "super-hotty", their personality was about what you'd expect: egotistical, superficial, impolite. I just always felt like the average-looking guys had more to offer, personality-wise. And THAT was attractive to me.

I got thinking about all this because I was listening to my MP3 player and a favorite song came on: "This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)" by Natalie Cole. Every time I hear it, I picture the opening credits of the movie "While You Were Sleeping". I love that Sandra Bullock ended up falling in love with Bill Pullman, the average-looking brother, instead of the brother with the classic good looks, good job, great apartment, etc.

Now I know that looks are all relative. It's weird to imagine some of my friends still being single, because they are just so beautiful inside and out. At the same time, it's weird to imagine some people I see at the grocery store, with greasy hair or bad breath or messed-up teeth, who are married and I wonder, "how did THAT person get a hook-up?"

But, I can tell you (and you may agree) that looks really seem to fade as you age. And by fade, I mean that we don't look as sharp as we once did. But, what I really mean more, is that they just don't seem to be important. My husband has lost most of his hair, ON HIS HEAD, because the rest of his body is completely covered with hair (from his neck down to his toes) and none of that junk falls out EV-AH. But it doesn't matter to me. I think he's sexy. He played soccer a lot as a kid and he's still got the tightest butt around... and it's all MINE.

I think average is pretty good, ya know?

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think average is great!

arcane said...

i totally agree! being with an average person is often better than being with someone who is considered "super hot". i know by personal experience :)

Anna See said...

i remember being asked out by a total hottie my freshman year in college. he was a million times prettier than i was, and he was the lead singer in a band!

i said no. i wish i could have explained myself...i just found his looks so intimidating.

Emily said...

Very true. There were guys I just thought were so hot in college and now, well, they're not. It's all about attitude and personality. I guess what my mom always told me is true...if you're beautiful on the inside it will show on the outside! :)

Foursons said...

I hear ya on the head. Isn't that weird how it starts to grow everywhere but on top? My hubby is that way- and I happen to HATE body hair. Ugh. But damn- his legs are HOT!

J said...

You know I just don't trust those super hot looking folks. Couldn't have a relationship with someone I can't trust!

Hey, your baby counter says only 12 days left!!!

Janie at Sounding Forth said...

you go, girl. you go.