Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I Hope I Get An "A"

Oh Dear Lord,
Please forgive me for what I have just done. I swore I would never do this. My actions will not help anyone and may end up hurting some people. It was dishonest and, worst of all, it was in deliberate defiance of trusting that You will take care of us.

I just finished my child's homework for her.

You see, Lord, she is a bright child. But you know her - she is easily distracted from her homework. She dawdles and hems and haws. Unless her assignment is about Littlest Pet Shop, or unless it is broadcast on TV, she loses interest quickly. She is quite sharp, but it takes her a while to come around to the idea. To ANY idea. So, getting her to finish some initial research for her report on a Famous Texan was just a bit daunting. Plus, we have never seen a TV show of our Famous Texan, so you can see why she wouldn't have all the information memorized by now. Oh sure, she can recite from memory the commercial for Bosley Hair Restoration, but she has trouble understanding Texas History. I blame Nickelodeon.

But I digress.

Dear Lord, please forgive me for taking my own thoughts and attempting to paraphrase them into "4th grader speak". Please forgive me for beginning, then working on, and eventually completing my daughter's bibliography (after she asks, "What's a bibliotophity?") And, Lord, forgive me for being so impatient that I can't sit down for 2 hours to do the right thing and walk her through this assignment. As you know, I have a toddler who loves to eat paint, a baby who has recently morphed from sleeping all day into needing to be held 23.5 hours a day, and 2 older boys who love to kick soccer balls in the house and also jump off high ledges. I know that I'm not doing my daughter any favors by "helping" her through this assignment. But let's face it God: those teachers at her school are not going to understand that Wednesday night during Advent is for going to church, not finishing homework.

So, maybe Peppermint Patty will get an "A" on her assignment. Which is good, considering I get an "F" in parenting.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow! Your mercies are new every morning. Amen.

14 comments:

FishHawk said...

SOCCER!?! (LOL?) (The "(LOL?)" was meant to soften the snarkiness. Did it work?)

Emily said...

I really hope you, I mean, she gets an A!!

Jen said...

Sweetie, I am pretty sure that God understands and you will totally get an A in parenting.

JennyMac said...

You are so far from getting a F in parenting....you were helping...its called mother-child bonding time over a valuable activity. (right???)

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

You are going straight to hail.

And I will see you there, because I have signed my son's homework folder all semester saying he read his dumb little paper books to me and, um, guess what....

Sturgmom said...

My children aren't to the age where the homework is that time consuming, but I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.

Does it make you feel any better that I didn't even ask my 1st grader if he had HW last night. They had a Christmas program in the evening and then we went out to eat after- there was literally NO TIME to get it done. So we skipped it altogther.

Angelica Bays, TygrLilies.com said...

Ok, well, you just earned the ultimate punishment, young lady!
ME as a follower!
ROFL!
I found you after reading your reply on another blog- You SLAY me!!
Keep up the good work ;o)

Sara said...

Thanks for the awesome advise on my post!

And don't worry... all parent's do their kid's homework from time to time. My mom once wrote a "the true meaning of christmas' essay for me, and then submitted it to a contest in the local paper... and then I won and got to be in the Christmas Parade. I had no idea she had done it until after the fact.... I turned out just fine.... I think!

Happy holidays!

Foursons said...

Please come back and tell us your- I mean her grade! I'm dying to know!

Aleta said...

Sometimes I wonder how parents keep up with school. My friends who have friends will make a face and say, "* WE * have homework tonight." And you thought you were finished school after graduation.... the things people don't warn you about when you have kids. Lol.

Anna See said...

Oh Texan Mama, I did the same thing this week and I felt horrible. Later Molly told me that my answer about what tides are sounded too grown up. Ouch.

We teachers are getting payback aren't we?

Jennifer said...

Mmmm. Cinnamon rolls.

Sorry. I was distracted by Mrs. Baird.

I think you did the right thing, and church is always more important than homework and I'm pretty sure you didn't damage her education by doing a report on a lady that made bread. And I'm a real Texan, so that's sayin' a lot.

anymommy said...

That is one way to get it done ;-) I agree with everyone else, make sure you tell us how you did!

Small Town Mommy said...

I hope you (I mean she) did well. Teachers just have to understand that sometimes, there just isn't enough time for homework. Especially the homework that requires parental input. I graduated a long time ago and shouldn't be expected to do elementary school work again.