Thursday, December 31, 2009

A JunkEctomy

After my uplifting post about all the crap we get for Christmas, I have decided that I'm not going to take this lying down. The unrelenting onslaught of stuff we don't need or use is too much to take.

I'm going on a mission to purge our house of all the extra kids books and magazines. (Yes, I said magazines. Each of my kids receive a magazine every month. I'm from a big family so we need to find birthday and gifts for our kids that aren't always TOYS.) Gone are the board games that we never want to play because they take too long to play or the instructions are too complicated. Those puzzles that I swear we'll put together SOMEDAY as a fun family activity are going to be some other family's fun activity.

And, let's be realistic: Am I ever going to get around to all those sewing projects that I haven't been able to finish the last 4 years either? And what about the "skinny clothes" that I haven't fit into since before I had Peppermint Patty? I can only hold onto the dream for so long.

I am going to give my house a JunkEctomy. That's my New Year's resolution. At least, that's what I'll admit to. Because I'm fairly sure none of you will be over to check on my progress. So, yeah. As far as y'all know, my house will be clutter free by Valentine's day. Here's hoping.

11 comments:

Kristen said...

Did you overhear the conversation that I just had with both my sister & my mother? I am only focusing on one room, but its a DOOZY! My master bedroom is getting cleared out tomorrow. If it doesnt fit (and since I am 16wks pregnant thats alot) its gone. If I havent used it since we moved into the house 15 months ago, its gone. If my clothes-horse husband hasn't worn it since we moved in, its gone. And I have to move the crib in so my almost 3 yr old can have a bedroom all to himself. I am just tired of all the stuff. I may make a move towards the guest room later this weekend...we will see. Good luck!

Foursons said...

Good luck!

Jennifer said...

I'm going to start working on this too. One room at a time. I'm determined to downsize. We have so much CRAP. It is nuts and I'm just tired of it.

Anna See said...

woohooo! you can do it! i want to do this too!

Angelica Bays, TygrLilies.com said...

Woohoo!! Go MAMA!!

Karen said...

I am in the mood to purge but with the snow we can't have a yard sale. I hope I am still in the mood this spring.

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

Oh Man, Karen, You are brave. I can't face trying to bargain with strangers to get them to pay for all the junk I"m purging. Plus my kids would want to "help" with the sale and say, "WAIT, WHY ARE YOU SELLING THIS???"

I'm all about throwing it away or giving it to Goodwill.

Jess said...

you can do it!!!
I just did! Tuesday I literally took a 'van full' of stuff to Goodwill!! The ladies helping unload my van kept asking, 'Is this the last box?' Finally it was.
I have been holding onto all of our stuff for emotional reasons and I finally let it go!! It felt so good!!

Emily said...

Oh, fun fun fun! *jumping around and claping* I love organzing, decluttering and purging! Have fun!!! :)

anymommy said...

I'm coming back to Texas to check ;0)

Sugar said...

Love!
You continuously make me LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!!