Saturday, December 19, 2009

Motherhood is...

Motherhood is
grocery shopping on Friday night
a clay ashtray that will never be used for burnt cigarettes
a finger-sized paint smear on the bathroom door that will still be there when you move 17 years from now
knowing that the blue #4 engine is definitely Gordon, not Thomas.

Motherhood is
"it's a girl"
"it's a boy"
or even
"I see one... two... three heartbeats."

Motherhood is
"Give mama a kiss"
"I see the bus coming!!! Don't forget your lunchbox!!!"
"Well, where did you see it last?"
"It's okay honey. Accidents happen."
"BECAUSE I AM THE MOM AND I SAID SO."

Motherhood is
sometimes standing up for your child
because he needs to know that you're in his corner;
and sometimes letting your child fall down
because learning from his mistakes will grow this boy into a man.

Motherhood is
teaching your daughter how to be a friend
and crying with your daughter when she has no friends.

Motherhood is
"Look Mommy. Look Mommy! LOOK MOMMMEEEEE!!!!!!!"
"Higher, Mommy! Push me higher!"
"Dup Doose. Dup Doose. Dup Doose." "Cup of Juice?" "Dup Doose."

Motherhood is
now.
yesterday.
tomorrow.

Where would the world be without mothers?

13 comments:

Gigi said...

Vey well said!

Foursons said...

I love this. A lot.

Emily said...

That is great...I love it!

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Great post! :)

Amy O'Connor said...

Love it!

Jen said...

This was so beautiful! A perfect description of motherhood.

Oh and thanks for the linky love. :)

Tonya said...

Love this!

Mommy Bear said...

I love this post!!

especially the
"knowing that the blue #4 engine is definitely Gordon, not Thomas."
I learned that quick.

blessedintexas said...

Beautiful post. It's a good reminder to treasure the blessing of Motherhood, even in the crazy stressful times. Thanks for making this tired mama smile.

Mrs Mecomber said...

SO TRUE!!! Great one! Thanks for posting.

Rebecca
FreakyFrugalite.com

Frogs in my formula said...

Amen! Where would the world be indeed?!

JennyMac said...

LOVE this..although three heartbeats...oh boy.

WhisperingWriter said...

This is fantastic.

I'd have fainted if I had been told there was 3 heartbeats though.