Saturday, January 23, 2010

I Guess It Was Inevitable

If you spend enough years as a parent, you're bound to see it all...

kids eating their boogers in public
kids with t-shirts that tell the world their mom is a hottie
kids being pushed in grocery carts, wearing pajamas, at 11pm

After tonight, I may have crossed the threshold of parenthood from "in the trenches" to "in the gutter".

Our family of 7 went out to eat at a chicken restaurant (named for the cartoon character who's a sailor and eats spinach). I was all set to blog about the totally AWESOME climbing structure they have in the play area. It is literally 2 stories high. It snaked around the ceiling of a huge room and had no less than 4 slides. My kids had a wonderful time.

Then, upon leaving, our kids told us about what they saw

Charlie Brown: Dad, up by the top of the purple slide someone wrote 'look at this' then drew an arrow to a big turd.
Texan Papa: Oh, they shouldn't have done that. That's inappropriate.
CB: Yeah, it's gross. And, it smelled too.
TP: Wait, it wasn't just a picture of a turd? It was an ACTUAL turd???
CB: Uh, yeah.
TP: Wait, I want to make sure I understand you. There was a real piece of poo up there?
CB: yes!

I don't know what was worse: knowing that someone pulled down their pants and pooped, or that they possibly left it there on purpose, or that my kids were playing up there and then ate their dinners.

Probably the latter.

But, as a highlight to our evening, our younger son Linus, who's in first grade, decided to use his special drawing paper from his kids' meal to write "Charlie Brown Sucks". Which, at first glance, seems like a bad thing. But Texan Papa and I were impressed that he knew how to spell "sucks".

Parenthood keeps looking better and better to the outsider, doesn't it?

13 comments:

Foursons said...

Oh my gosh. I'm speechless.

Kathy said...

I don't know what to say either. Is there anything more unappetizing at a restaurant than someone's poo out in the open? My God.

Jennifer said...

Ummm.... yeah.

Emily said...

And that is why I don't let my kids play in the those play places! YUCK! Had y'all already left or did you report that to the manager?

Jen said...

Ew! That is so gross!!!!

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

See that's why my kids don't go there ;)

Anna See said...

gross! so glad my kids are too old for play areas now. ewwww...

Bear and Bones Mama said...

OH MY !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ew gross.
I'm so sorry.
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Aunt Crazy said...

yuck and yuck and ewwww gross...LOL

I have two teenagers, I've learned that in order to avoid disappointment, I must lower my expectations. I did and I'm not. Then I think to myself, is this the easy way out for me so that I don't have to do the hard mom stuff? Then I realize that it's not cuz I am the mom and I make the rules...LOL

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I threw up in my mouth a little bit. Oh no that did not happen!

KEEP BELIEVING

texasholly said...

Soooo gross! I will have to admit that a similar situation happened at the McDonalds in Roanoke which I no longer frequent due to the poop in the playarea issue. EEWWWWWW.

Nice spelling.

6feetover said...

Oh great...you just sealed the deal on my 2 year on-going promise to never let my daughter play on restaurant-type jungle gyms! lol Every time we drive by Chuck E Cheese, I get hives. lol

~melody~

Found ya via SITS...love your blog!

Jen said...

TM, this made my day.

I'm sitting here laughing (out loud, I swear), like a crazy person.

I'm not really grossed out.

I'm laughing because it probably happens to all of us at some point, we just never know it.

And? THey live.


At least now I'll know what that horrible smell is coming from the back of the minivan.

BWahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

(I assure you....my kids will continue to play - far too often - at fast food playgrounds, cuz that's how I roll.)

;-)