Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Martha Stewart I Am Not.

Nor am I Rachel Ray. Not Paula Deen either.
Well, okay, maybe I channel Paula Deen occasionally. I do loves me some butter. Mmmm....
But anyway, I have friends who love to cook. And, I bet their dishes are divine. I love to cook too, but I just don't do it. Our usual fare consists of hot dogs, sloppy joes, and mac 'n cheese. If I try to "get fancy" and fix something as simple as Salmon for my kids, I get sideways stares that scream I AM GOING TO VOMIT IF I HAVE TO EAT THIS PINK FISH. WHERE ARE THE CHICKEN NUGGETS???
New rule: No one is allowed to complain about the food except the person who cooked it.

However, the other night, I came up with an idea. I'm not even going to call it original because I've seen this posted on other people's cooking blogs. (I googled it when I came up with the idea because I wanted to double check my chances of screwing up). So, here's my newest idea from the Texan Kitchen.
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Serves 6

Supplies:
Parchment Paper
Jumbo Muffin Tin
rolling pin

Ingredients:
1 pkg of 2 frozen pie crusts (Thawed)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 soup can (or, 5 oz.) of milk
peas
carrots
onion
2 chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Use the soup can to draw 6 circles on the parchment paper and cut them out. Then, generously grease and flour the pie pan. Put the parchment paper circles on the bottom of each muffin cup. YES this is like doing double duty but TRUST ME you don't want those hot pot pies getting stuck in the muffin cups.

3. Start cooking the chicken (if it's not pre-cooked). I usually just boil it in some water with a couple bouillon cubes.

4. Unwrap one pie shell but don't unroll it. Cut it in half, then each half into thirds, making 6 small pie crust balls. Take each pie crust section and flatten it, using the rolling pin to make a mini pie shell. The diameter should be around 5 inches or a little more. Place each pie shell in each muffin cup.


*NOTE: You'll need a little less pie shell for the tops, so if you feel like your pie shells are a bit thin or small, cut a little extra shell from the second pie pastry to give yourself a bit extra for the bottom crusts.

5. Mix in a medium pot the soup & milk. In a separate bowl, cook the peas/carrots/onion with some of the water/broth from cooking the chicken. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and microwave for about 5 minutes. Drain water off and put the vegetables into the pot with the soup & milk. If you like other vegetables - like green beans, celery, corn, potatoes, or lima beans - use those instead or in place of peas & carrots. Or, use leftover vegetables. Those don't need to be cooked again since they've already been cooked.

6. Chop up the cooked chicken and add it to the soup mixture. Cook just until warm, then stir in the mayonnaise. Add some salt or pepper to your taste.

7. Divide the filling among the six muffin cups.

8. Roll out the second pie shell in the same way as before. Cover each muffin cup with a pie crust on top and pinch edges to seal. Cut a slit in top for venting.


9. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. After 30 minutes, lay a sheet of aluminum foil on top of the pies, to keep the top crusts from getting too brown during the last 15 minutes in the oven.

10. THIS IS THE REALLY IMPORTANT PART: Allow the pies to cool for about 15 minutes after removing them from the oven. Leave the aluminum foil loosely on top. This will keep them warm but allow them to set. If you take them out of the muffin cups too early, they will fall apart.



YUM YUM

11 comments:

Bridgett said...

those make me happy. I want them.

Jen said...

I LOVE this idea. Good work, Mama.

OHmommy said...

I just made my first pot pie last month... but this looks way easier and the kids would like these much more.

PS. I dislike cooking very much. I avoid it as much as I can. But I do and try to make it as much fun as possible. For me and everyone involved. Ha.

Foursons said...

Looks delicious. I have made a pot pie in a long time.

Jennifer said...

I have never, ever liked chicken pot pie. Does that make me weird?

gina said...

Yeah for you- that's way more advanced than I can do. I heat up Marie Calender ones. :) I was smart enough to marry a man who loves to cook for me and anyone i invite over and he's great at it too. :)

Emily said...

That does sound good...did your kids like them?

Shaunells Hair said...

Oh I love your blog! Stopping in to see how it's going! COme see my latest giveaway!

Rebecca said...

LOVE this, thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to have to try these out!!!
Stopping by from SITS

Wendy said...

Those look really yum. Did the kids eat them? Did they help cook?

Sturgmom said...

Sounds awesome!! I love mini chicken pot pies, but I don't even go through the effort you do. I use cooked chicken, a can of mixed veggies (drained) and a can of cream of chicken soup. Mix. Then I use a cup to cut circles out of my pie crust, put in the filling, fold over a crimp! Maybe we'll have pot pies tomorrow night...