Tuesday, February 23, 2010

True Story Tuesday: A Quarter Saved



Once upon a time, I had a quarter. It was a nifty quarter. It looked like this:


Now that might not seem so unusual. I didn't think so at first either. But one day, as I was gathering up my change left on the bathroom counter after emptying my pockets, I noticed it didn't quite clink in the same way I've heard other quarters clink. I thought maybe it was a new quarter, or possibly a really old quarter, so I looked at it again:


And then I turned it over and saw this:
And, then I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, so I flipped it over again, to see:
And I flipped it over AGAIN to see:




I was shocked. I wondered, is it counterfeit? Is it a joke? What's the deal???? How could a quarter be printed exactly the same on both sides? I thought it might be one of those trick coins, but even Texan Papa - the great skeptic - thought it looked pretty real.

It felt the exact same weight as a regular quarter. It looked genuine. I thought about taking it to a bank to get it checked out, but then I wondered if they would confiscate it. I considered taking it to a rare coin shop but couldn't face the possible rejection of being told, Yeah, your quarter is worth exactly 25 cents.

So, I held onto the quarter. I showed it to people. I told them how I didn't buy it or find it, it just appeared in my change one day. Probably got it after giving McDonalds a $5 bill or something.

Then one day it was gone. My precious quarter! I probably used it to pay for my kids' lunch at school. I will never know if that quarter was real or fake, valuable or just a novelty. If I still had it, who knows... today I might be a hundred-aire!

17 comments:

Aunt Crazy said...

I bet that quarter was worth a ton is it was in fact real. I hope you find it again.


p.s. I left you an award at my place. :)

LceeL said...

Magic and Gift stores sell two headed quarters for 5 to 8 dollars. There is no recored instance of a mint error that created a two headed quarter - there has, however, been an instance where a two TAILED quarter has been struck.

Jennifer said...

That's cool and even if it is a novelty, based on LceeL, it's still worth at least $5 as opposed to just 25 cents.

Linda said...

Maybe the mystery is better than knowing whether it was worth a fortune - or not.

Jennifer said...

I bet it was one of those fake quarters and you got it as change somewhere that someone accidentally spent it and now someone else will get it just like you did and will be just as fascinated by it.

Emily said...

That makes me want to go check all my coins! I hope you find it. Check the couch cushions or the washer/dryer.

Foursons said...

You never Googled to find out? That's the first place I go when I have a question.

Stephanie said...

Oh no!! I wonder if it would've been worth anything? That's so crazy!

Jen said...

Wow, that is weird. I bet is was a fake that got mixed in with real money.

Jen said...

Wow, that is weird. I bet is was a fake that got mixed in with real money.

anymommy said...

Cool. I hope you find it, and I'm off to google mint error 1993.

Sturgmom said...

I can't believe you spent it! Or whatever. Although I did think once that I sent Jason's German coins to school w/ Micah for his school's change collection. So I guess I can believe it. ;)

Shelley said...

I hate it when I do things like that.

cheekymama said...

Oh you are joking! That's the kind of story that haunts you, but at least you can use it to bore the great-grandkids one day :-)

Visiting from SITS, your family is beautiful by the way and 5 kids! I take my hat off to you, mama.

Do stopy by at http://babesabouttown.com and check out my baby product giveaway!

Small Town Mommy said...

From your comments, it sounds like a fake quarter. I would love to see it for myself.

Serendipity said...

Sounds like it was a fake one to me - but interesting to see! Visiting from SITS :)

lynnegood said...

Thanks for stopping by and the heads up on my broken link. The Lady Blogger moved to Wordpress so I had to change it.