Monday, March 15, 2010

I've Got That Creepy Feeling

Sunday was a sunny day outside and the temperature was perfect, right around 65. It was one of those days when you think, "If I lived in temps like this year round, I would never have a reason to not exercise outside. I'd never become a couch potato. I could drop those 15 pounds in a heartbeat!"

I decided to clean up our front yard and trim the bushes. And by "trim" I mean "hack at the overgrowth until it looks like I've completely decimated any sign of healthy landscaping." Part of that plan included using the electric hedge trimmer on the bushes. And, of course, I left the trimmer outside, because I am 1) lazy, 2) a procrastinator, and 3) forgetful. In the morning I went to pick up the pile of clippings and I noticed that the extension cord - the one I'd been using for the hedge trimmer - was pulled away from the house, around the side where I had NOT been working. "Hmm, that's weird" I thought. Okay, that's not true. Acutally I thought, "Oh crap. I have a feeling the hedge trimmer has been stolen by someone who pulled the cord as far away from the house as possible before actually walking away with it. But I'm hoping I'm wrong and at the end of this cord I'll find our hedge trimmer..."

I was not wrong.

I hate that I can't even leave something like an electric tool on my FRONT PORCH for one night without knowing - with a fair degree of certainty - that it will be stolen. That creepy feeling sucks. I live in a nice neighborhood. Our house is pretty nice and we live in a sweet neighborhood.

But, the creepiest feeling is knowing that someone, some stranger, was on my front porch. They were walking around in my yard. They were mere feet from my front door and from the windows that lead into my daughters' bedrooms. They could have done anything they wanted to, right there, just steps from where we lay sleeping in our beds.

I'm creeped out just thinking about it.

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is where having an electrician for a husband comes in handy. You get anywhere close to our house and you are bathed in light. I guess someone could still come around and walk on the front porch, but they would be pretty conspicious if someone happened to drive by.

Foursons said...

That is creepy and scary. Very unsettling just to read about.

Leiah said...

My house was broken into back in September and I still get freaked out thinking someone was in there without my permission. Oh and the weirdest thing was they tried on some of my shoes and left them in another room. And they took my laptop and a six-pack of beer. Yep, the beer too. Sorry you're having to go through this - I totally understand!

Emily said...

Ugh. THat does suck. And it is creepy. Sorry. :(

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

That really sucks :( My guess is it was kids doing it for the heck of it.
Very creepy feeling though!

jori-o said...

My wallet was just stolen yesterday...I had accidentally left it in my car (in the diaper bag) and of course I forgot to lock the van. Both unusual things for me--leaving my wallet in the car AND leaving it unlocked. I'm pretty sure it was stupid kids too, but it doesn't piss me off any less.

Stupid thieves.

Bear and Bones Mama said...

Oh ugh. I'm sorry, that is creepy.

Gigi said...

Ick, ick, ick! I hate that feeling of violation. There's something you can do (without an electrician - I'd ask Hubby but he's not here) where you can put a motion sensor in your porch light fixture so that it turns on when it senses movement....that may bring some piece of mind.

Wendy said...

People who steal make me mad. Go get your own stuff!

It was probably dumb kids, who hocked it for beer money.

Bridgett said...

Now, I live in the city so it's different, but last night around midnight I could hear someone walking through my gangway (the tight space between houses here). He opened the side gate, didn't shut it, walked through the backyard slowly, and opened and shut the back gate. It was a cut through--he didn't steal the swingset or the dead plants or something. But it still freaks me out.