Thursday, March 18, 2010

Speaking of Feelings...

This week is spring break for my kids. We've spent a lot of time together these last 7 days, especially since Texan Papa works weekends and then left for a business trip on Monday. We've gone to Six Flags, Putt-Putt golf, McDonalds, and we even did some community service.

One other thing we did was clean out our closets. I looked at all the hangars in my sons' closet and realized, I can't use these hangars anymore. They are too small. The boys' clothes need to be on adult hangars.

That is a very weird feeling inside my heart to realize that my children's clothes no longer fit on child-size hangars. And, no matter how much I try to force the size 7, 8, and 10 clothes on those hangars, they will not stay. They slide off and land in a pile on the floor, as if to mock me: Nice try, lady. Just admit that your boys have shoulders the size of a teenager.

Why can't there be a "transition hangar"? One that's medium-sized, decorated with sailboats or cowboys or something? Okay, that's just a little metaphor, you know. I am looking for the transitional feelings that are presently escaping me. I want to look at my boys and see that fresh-faced Kindergartener or that toothless-grin Christmas program singer. I want them to outgrow their clothes before they wear them to bare threads.

My daughter is the same way. She's 10. She told me to come look at something in the bathroom today, and my heart sunk as I feared she might be telling me that she's gotten her first period. (BTW, that wasn't it. I'll spare you the details but it had nothing to do with an advancement in puberty.) I look at her and I want to just bottle up any thoughts about any young teenager looking at her the way I longed to be looked at as a teenager. Yes, she's only 10. But soon she'll be 12, then 14, then going on dates, then asking me about the pill. I mean, she's already asking me if she can wear "hang-down" pierced earrings. Be still my fragile heart.

At this rate, I think I simply MUST keep having babies, if for no other reason than to bury my head in the sand about my children getting older. Yeah, that just might work...

7 comments:

Foursons said...

*Gasp* Hang down earrings?! Oh the horror. Lock your doors girl, and lock them now with deadbolts and chains. Things are going by WAY TOO FAST!

Jen said...

Oh my sweet friend, no matter how many babies you have they all will grow up. And if you keep yourself busy with babies then you might miss some pretty neat stuff about her getting older.

Of course, I can give this advice b/c it is not me who has a pre-teen daughter. I do not know of what I speak and will soon be in a corner hiding when it is my turn for my kids to reach this age. :)

Anna See said...

Oh I feel the same exact way. Am so nostalgic today about my not so little little ones!

Gigi said...

I know these feelings of which you speak - and the older these kids get the faster it seems to go. Right about now I'm wishing I had a small one to cuddle (and for me - at my age? That's just crazy talk - so I must be feeling pretty nostalgic.....)

Jennifer said...

Baby Girl starts kindergarten in the fall. My heart will break. I just know it.

jori-o said...

I mourn my children growing up. I tell them all the time to stop; do they listen??

I know Baby O is going to cut a tooth any second now and I honestly think I will cry. I LOVE the toothless grins. And while I love baby tooth grins too, the toothless ones will be gone FOREVER. Or at least until she's 84...in which case I probably won't be around to see...and let's face facts---an 84 year-old toothless grin is not quite as charming as a baby one ;-)

McMommy said...

NO WAY.
No way did we just write the EXACT SAME THING!!!!!! I wish I could just HUG YOU!!!!!!! And bawl on your shoulder! Because you and I just experienced the exact same thing and it's freaking me out.

Stupid Stupid STUPID HANGERS for throwing reality right into our poor unsuspecting faces!!!!

p.s. I loved the way you wrote about the hangers....seriously, you captured my sentiments exactly!