Friday, April 2, 2010

100-Word Challenge: Swollen

Another journey into my creative side, be that what it may. This week's 100-word challenge is from the word "swollen":

Her pale skin could not hide the glaring black-and-blue mark under her eye. While the bruise was the most obvious sign of her pain, it was her gaze that shook the policeman to his core. Her stare was vacant, as if her body was just a shell where innocence used to live. Everything good inside her had been robbed from her. A young child should not have to endure a home like that. A man can’t be called a proper parent simply because he pays the bills and provides shelter. Love. Compassion. Generosity. Mercy. Knowledge. Not a swollen cheek bone.

10 comments:

LceeL said...

Wow. I hope that's not autobiographical. I have seem so much of this sort of thing - children abused by parents - wives abused by husbands. Just what it is that makes that happen is beyond me.

That said - this is a very powerful piece. And REALLY well written. Bravo.

Karen said...

Oh wow! That is so powerful. You do have a way with words.

Aunt Crazy said...

AMAZING writing skills

Jennifer said...

Good job. I love the way you wrote the story, even though it is one of those things you don't really like to read about.

Frugal Vicki said...

wow girl, great job of writing that. Very powerful words

PattiKen said...

That is so powerful. It is so horrible that this kind of thing happens to a child. I'm relieved to read that there was a policeman there. There so often isn't, until it's too late.

Tara R. said...

Heartbreaking... You did a wonderful job with this prompt, very touching.

Barbara said...

Sad story. I have a blog with a list of Texas bloggers and would like to add your name to the list. Please come see me and follow along.

Barbara

Barbara said...

Sad story. I have a blog with a list of Texas bloggers and would like to add your name to the list. Please come see me and follow along.

Barbara

Sh@KiR@ CK said...

I would like to wish you and your family
Many Easter Blessings and have you a great Easter!
hugs
shakira