Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Grass Is Always Greener When You Have Weeds Growing

So, I am curious to ask: Am I the only double-X'er out there that is responsible for 100% of housework, childcare, meal prep, AND lawn care??

Can I get an "AMEN"?

I have decided to stage a boycott on all things lawncare. I don't mind pulling weeds. I kinda suck at plants and any type of landscape, but I can give it a try. And every year, I am the one who gets stuck mowing the lawn. Truth be told, it's not ALL bad. Sometimes, on a hot summer evening, after we've finished dinner, I'll tell Texan Papa and the Peanuts to clean up the dinner dishes and put away the leftovers because "I'm going out to cut the grass and clear my head!"

But this year? This year I've got 5 kids. Including a newborn. And our lawn looks like we live in a drug den. Seriously. We've got wild onions growing. We've got clover. Of course we've got dandelions. We've got some kinds of prickly weed that I can only dig up with a shovel or put on leather gloves to pull it. And, to top it off, we've got some type of rapidly spreading ground-cover weed that is completely covering our actual non-growing grass and therefore blocking out any chance of the good stuff getting some sunlight.

I even called Scott's Lawn Service and had us all set up to get our lawn the full hands-off treatment. When they called to let us know they'd be by the next day, Texan Papa was all, "What's that? Why are they coming?" I told him, "Well, I thought I'd take care of this. You told me you wanted someone to look into our lawn. It really needs help. These guys are professionals!" And, I think the idea of someone else doing the work appealed to him. But, in the end, the benjamins won out and he said, "Oh no, we're not paying someone else to do that. I'll just put down the weed-n-feed. I'll do it."

Which means, "We'll do it."

Which really means, "I'll take a nap, then wake up too late to do anything, and say, 'Oh, I slept too long!' and Texan Mama will have to do it."

And, so, yes. I've been weed-n-feeding. And spraying. And pulling weeds. And hedge-trimming. And gutter-cleaning. And mowing. And ignoring my kids.

And still, the drug den look persists. At least the weeds are shorter.

I may have to get an appointment with Scotts on the down-low.

13 comments:

Foursons said...

I hired them about 2 years ago. Honestly, they didn't do much that helped my yard. The airation was good though.

And I too am the yard person. What?! I have 4 BOYS!!!! AND a HUSBAND! What in the world?

I've mowed my yard twice already because those darn weeds grow so fast. I did weed n feed a couple of weeks ago and it didn't do much for the weeds. *sigh*

Gigi said...

I can say I don't do lawns - but I am in charge of all the landscaping. If you can figure out how to get rid of those onions - SHARE! I've never had to deal with them before but here? OMG! I even put down the landscape fabric before I put the mulch in & they are still breaking through! At this point I'm ready to blow up the whole yard.....

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh my, Texan Mama. You aren't the only Double X'er who does lawns, and boy it's just so not fair! My husband isn't too bad - he does need to be reminded a lot, but he'll do it if I subtly say that our house looks like a rental.

My sister's husband however is a bit of a slouch around the yard. Poor gal does it all.

Givinya De Elba said...

Dammit, every comment I write comes out wrong.

When I said "You aren't the only Double X'er who does lawns" it sounded like I was saying, "So quit your whinging."

hat I wanted it to sound like was "We're in the together, gal!"

Mowing Sisters Unite.

Jennifer said...

David won't let me mow the yard. He is like Hank Hill when it comes to that. I do the flower beds and stuff like that.

Weed and feed won't work unless you let the grass grow to the point that it is choking out the weeds. I like this stuff called Image. You mix it in a sprayer and spray the yard lightly with it once a week for two to three weeks. It is the only thing I have found to kill the dollar weed. I love it.

Wendy said...

GIRL. You need some fellow girl help. Here you go.

THEY DON'T NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING.

Recite that back to yourself a few times.

If I tell hubby, "I'm gonna move this couch six inches to the left," he has an ANEURYSM.

But if I just move it while he's at work? 96% chance he'll NEVER notice. 3% of the time he likes it. 1% of the time he really does hate it, but 99% of the time under that circumstance he forgets after one day. 1% of the time he forgets after two days.

100% of the time? He forgets or doesn't care or doesn't notice and I have avoided a fight by not telling him ahead of time.

It's just not worth it to tell them much of anything, I have found. Just DO it. File it under "I can run this household, you know".

When hubby tries to tell me what to do I just say, "there's your laundry. Get busy, hot stuff," and he pipes down. I can get away with this because I am doing a good job (as I know you are) and working hard & when he gets bossy it's just because he's jealous I get to stay home all day.

Bridgett said...

100% of the time, yes. Maybe a little sharing in the child care...but not enough to mention, really. But yard is all mine. Unfortunately.

Sturgmom said...

I'm not "responsible," per se, for the lawn, but Jason doesn't do anything except mow. And he weed-eats occasionally. I'd like to landscape a bit, but since we rent, he's adamant that we don't spend a bunch of extra $$$ on plants that will stay when we leave.

I'm hiring a housecleaner soon. I say you call Scott's back! Sometimes, something's gotta give.

Anna See said...

boycott, baby, boycott!

men take pride in lawncare, so he'll get shamed into it at some point.

i hired someone to cut our lawn and my husband says it's too much, but to me it is worth every penny.

Aunt Crazy said...

I don't do lawns and if Texan Papa does not want to PAY to have the lawn done, then HE can do it ALONE or just have it done on the down low and take all the credit whichever, but HELL NO you should NOT be doing the lawn if you don't want to! My sis in law loves doing the lawn, if you love it do it, if you don't want to do it, then get it done in whatever way you deem necessary!

Karen said...

If he takes care of something in the house, like doing dishes, while you mow then it can be a good thing. I would rather push a mower than exercise on the treadmill. If you don't want to mow, don't. Maybe he will get the hint.

Melissa said...

Hire them! Seriously!

The people we bought our house from had it done the spring before we bought the house. This is our second spring here and the crab grass and creeping Charlie are taking over, not to mention the snow mold! Ugh! We have tried the feed and seed and it's just not working. I say hire them and have them come when Papa is not home, than he will think it was all your hard work! :-)

Sugar said...

Call Scott's lawn care and get me in touch with that Wendy girl! She seems cool--like you! Seriouslyyyyyy, you don't have to tell Texan Papa everything.