Saturday, April 10, 2010

Making Progress

I don't want anyone to ever think that I'm not a woman of action. Problem? Find a solution. Something broken? Fix it. Weight to lose? Well, maybe I'll just put that one off for now...


But, anyway, I have gotten a few things sorted out, like...


I laid down the law with Texan Papa about the lawn. Okay, now I sound like I'm all rough and tough and I wear the pants in the family. Really, we share the pants. But I did tell him, "I am going to call Scotts to come for the lawn if you aren't going to help me." The expected argument followed... how are we going to afford this? Did you ever ask me to help you? When did you think I've had time in the past 3 weeks anyway? (Answers: I don't know how we'll afford this. No, I never asked but you should have that intrinsic notion to help me. Yes, I know you've been working on getting your Jeep running but not 18 hours of every day.) I just basically gave him the whole spiel about "I do laundry, I cook meals, I scrub toilets. I don't ask for help. And that's okay with me because that's my job, just like your job is to go to work. But the lawn is something we can do TOGETHER. I can't do it alone, and I won't do it alone. My preference would be that you help me. But if you're not going to do it, then you'll need to find a way for us to afford a service." It about broke his heart when I mentioned that he might have to actually wake up an hour early once a week in order to help with the lawn. But, I think he's seen the light.


Next, I called my sister tonight, and told her how I felt about Claire. I cried. She didn't cry, but she said she appreciated what I had to say. She told me she never felt like I shut her out or that she couldn't talk to me. It was bittersweet as we agreed that Claire's death was so long ago, but that time does indeed heal wounds. I got to hear my sister talk about what she was feeling so many years ago, as told through hindsight. It felt good to talk about Claire again, and know that my sister isn't really grieving anymore so much as remembering.

So, I'm getting a few problems solved. Now, if I could just do something about my baby pooch...

7 comments:

THE OLD GEEZER said...

Husbands are all the same when it comes to getting out of work around the house. When Mrs. Geezer bosses me around and tries to force me to do something I don't want to do, I always throw the same old excuse at her. I tell her to quit picking on me, I'm just a poor old man who worked for 40 years and I ain't planning to start again! That never works but it makes me feel better to say it.

I say hire a gardener and set up a lemon aid stand in front of your house and make your kids run it for the extra money you need.

There, problem solved. Of course there will be a small fee that you can deposit into The Old Geezer retirement fund through Paypal in Brazil or cash will be accepted. : )

God bless you and have a great weekend,

Ron

Foursons said...

So glad you talked to your sister. I had a feeling things would be that way, but seeing as how I am a "virtual" stranger I couldn't be certain. Anyhow, so happy for both of you.

Yay for lawn help!

Anna See said...

you go girl! xo

Gigi said...

You ARE a woman of action! Feels great to make some progress! Yay for you re: the lawn. That's a big deal.

And as for talking to your sister...that was monumental. I know you must feel so much better for it.

Karen said...

It is good to hear that you have worked a few things out. It does one's heart good.

Wendy said...

Yay! I'm glad you feel better about all this.

The other day I was standing in front of our ginormous bathroom mirror which shows me to my knees and I picked up that baby pooch and had a flashback to when my tummy was flat. These days? The more weight I lose, the more it looks like I'm smuggling cauliflower in my pants. It's very sad.

Stretch marks? I'm FINE with stretch marks. It's the leftover skin I have a problem with!

Sugar said...

So happy for you! Dang, can you virtually step into my life and solve my problems too?!